Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Banking Online

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:02 PM

NickAu made a comment about online banking here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631069/online-banking-paranoia/

Would this work with any Linux distro? And just exactly how does this work? How is it any safer?

As you may have deciphered, I am new to Linux [have Live DVD Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon] that I am still trying to adjust to and am a frequenter of this Forum.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:09 PM

Some Linux's(i) don't have flash or java enabled or even installed, it's "safer" because on a windows machine if you go to a banking site and you happen to click a bad add, you have malware.

On a linux machine since it's a different file system (ext*) the malware wouldn't know what to do. eg, there is no, "program files" folder. so theoretically it would be confused since most infections are written for windows. 

and yes it would work with any distro but puppy would be the best one. 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:24 PM

The only thing I worry about using something like puppy is the browser version. If the browser is not updated is there a chance it could be compromised? Even though the chances are non-existent on getting an infection how would a USB version of Puppy be compared to a CD version security wise? Does it make a difference? I know you can create a bootable USB with persistence for Puppy.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 November 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:30 PM

Well the USB would be a faster boot, and yes John_C21 if the browser version is outdated it could very well cause a risk.

i use Google chrome for netflix, (HTML5) and in mint whenever there is an update it shows up the day it happens, not the day after. i just update my Chrome today because the notification. 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:31 PM

You can refer back to this thread and it links you to this good article

I just use good AV and NoScript in Firefox.  I log in log out never save the Password in Chrome etc.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:33 PM

The only thing I worry about using something like puppy is the browser version. If the browser is not updated is there a chance it could be compromised?

You are correct, BUT, What you do is update the browser etc and create a save file that is also burned to CD.

I would not use a USB simply because it can be written to where as a finalized CD cant.

Arch Linux .
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines link 
Important Information For All Who Help/Post In Linux & Unix
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet <- Everyone must read this!
How to Protect and Harden a Computer against Ransomware <- Everyone must read this!

""Three out of four voices in my head want to sleep. The fourth voice wants to know if penguins have knees."

#7 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

First of all, any Operating System has the potential to get infected, in that regard Linux is no different than any other OS, however what Nick was suggesting was that you do your online banking using a "live" Linux CD or USB, and this has significant security advantages.

When booting from a "live" CD/USB your entire session is loaded into memory, so when you terminate the session there is no permanent record of anything you did during that session (since memory is purged when you shut down) so "spying" on anything you do during that session is extremely difficult (you'd have to get infected and then access your bank all in the same online session).

Provided you do not have "persistence" set on your "live" CD/USB, then any infections you may pick up will also not survive when you terminate a session, so even if you got infected during one session, that infection would not be present in the next.

Generally speaking Linux is prone to far fewer infections than Windows, but by using a "live" CD/USB you improve your security even further.

Edited by Gary R, 01 November 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

Call me ultra paranoid if you like, but for banking I have a old laptop that has not got a hard drive in it. It can only be booted using a live Linux.

Arch Linux .
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines link 
Important Information For All Who Help/Post In Linux & Unix
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet <- Everyone must read this!
How to Protect and Harden a Computer against Ransomware <- Everyone must read this!

""Three out of four voices in my head want to sleep. The fourth voice wants to know if penguins have knees."

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:09 AM

The only thing I worry about using something like puppy is the browser version. If the browser is not updated is there a chance it could be compromised? Even though the chances are non-existent on getting an infection how would a USB version of Puppy be compared to a CD version security wise? Does it make a difference? I know you can create a bootable USB with persistence for Puppy.

Hi, John.

Just because Puppy runs on old hardware, doesn't mean it uses old software..!  :P

If you run either of the two current 64-bit 'flagship' Pups from a stick (Tahr64 and Slacko64), I produce up-to-date versions of Chrome and SlimJet (based on Chromium) for Puppians, in the SFS 'load-on-the-fly' package format that Puppy uses. These are available through the Murga-Linux Puppy Forums:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107301

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106957

I've been doing my on-line banking in Pup for the last couple of years, clearing the cache & browser history after each visit. I've never had a problem yet. As I stated just yesterday in another post, there will always be the 'paranoid' types for whom nothing will ever be secure enough (and indeed, 100% security is impossible to achieve. The only way to achieve that is not to switch your machine on in the first place!)

Pup-on-a-stick, running up-to-date Chrome or SlimJet, with uBlock Origin and a cache & browser history cleaner (Click'n'Clean) comes pretty close, though.....  :thumbup2:

And Nick's solution sounds good, too..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 02 November 2016 - 11:20 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

I use a Puppy CD as a matter of course nowadays, for internet banking and shopping etc. I always use a multi-session CD so that I can update the browser.

Tahr Puppy comes with an application called "Palemoon updater" in the menu, that tells you if there is a new version of Palemoon available, and offers to download and install it if there is.

You can also do the same on a USB flash drive, and even a HDD (if you tell the computer that the HDD is a flash drive).

It is more obvious that something is being saved to a CD though, since apart from the mechanical noises coming from the drive, another date-stamped session is written to the CD.

To make absolutely sure that nothing can be saved to a Puppy CD, because Puppy runs entirely from RAM you can remove the CD from the drive after Puppy has booted up. :)

Edited by Al1000, 02 November 2016 - 04:55 PM.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,788 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

The only issue i see with banking with linux in general is some banks require IE.

Heck there are still ones that need IE6 the least secure IE to ever exist.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

Thanks Mike_Walsh for the updated links.

Does Puppy automatically save an updated browser to a multisession CD after confirming the file save when exiting Puppy or does one have to save the file to the Hard Drive then burn the save file to the CD? 

#13 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:14 PM

@Viper_Security post #2....Thanks for the input and explanation.

@pcpunk post#5........Yes I recall inquiring in that thread and following. However was just learning of Linux.

@Gary R post#7..........Your explanation about the security aspect makes sense.

@Mike_Walsh post #9.............Can't say I understand all of what you said in your reply.......you kinda' lost me.

I need to look into Puppy.

Thanks to all of you for your answers and recommendations.

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Does Puppy automatically save an updated browser to a multisession CD...

When you go to shutdown or reboot the PC, Puppy will ask you if you want to save the session. If you answer affirmatively, it will write another session to the CD.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

Does Puppy automatically save an updated browser to a multisession CD...

When you go to shutdown or reboot the PC, Puppy will ask you if you want to save the session. If you answer affirmatively, it will write another session to the CD.

Nice. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users