Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IT raises eyebrows, as changes to Windows OS updates get underway

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

In the new model, launched in October, PCs running Windows 7 or 8.1 receive an update automatically on the second Tuesday of each month. The update consists of new patches and features, in addition to all patches and features from the prior month's update. Before this change, admins controlled when Windows 7 and 8.1 updates installed and could manually search for the latest updates when Microsoft released them. Experts said the new model could help organizations get used to Windows 10's model before moving to the new operating system, but some problems have already popped up.

At Ongweoweh Corp., a pallet and packing management company in Ithaca, N.Y., four of its HP EliteBook 840 laptops froze multiple times a day following the October update. Those Windows 7 PCs did not have any problems prior to the update, said Jim Davies, director of IT.

Admins did a factory reset, which wipes the PC and reconfigures it as if it just came out of the box, and the blue screens went away. The IT department will be on the lookout for any more issues that may occur around the time of monthly Windows OS updates, Davies said.

"We did everything we could think of to fix the problem before we did the [factory reset]," he said. "HP agreed it was a Microsoft update issue, but Microsoft didn't have any answer for it."

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:34 PM

Is this the "rollup" system, rather than the sensible "individual updates for individual problems" system you are describing. The first sentence is hard to interpret, it surely doesn't mean systems with updates disabled have had this one forcibly applied does it? Assuming that this article is discussing the dangerous nature of overall rollups being used instead of specific patches (if it was discussing forcible updates I would expect to see more articles warning us all), let us hope is makes ms see the error of their ways and revert to having patches for specific issues, how many customers must they lose before they see sense? Linux user numbers are at an all time high and I don't think that there can be any doubt about the reasons for this.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

let us hope is makes ms see the error of their ways and revert to having patches for specific issues, how many customers must they lose before they see sense? Linux user numbers are at an all time high and I don't think that there can be any doubt about the reasons for this.                  

:thumbup2: I whole-heartedly second this. But considering MS' track record I wouldn't hold my breath.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:52 PM

Yes, this is the new rollup system that started in October. The problem being that it's one or none when downloading security updates and if one goes bad as is usually the case with Microsoft lately it's impossible to determine which update in the rollup is causing the problem. Total lunacy.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:06 PM

The key question is whether it would be possible to somehow "get the individual updates out" of the rollup to apply them individually, one would imagine that if a rollup is a collection of other updates it must be possible for that collection to be separated out, or is this one of those situations where some things would be shared between the updates and therefore not be possible to separate apart in the way that intuition would imagine?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

With the limited knowledge I have re windows updates/rollups etc....I would imagine that 'separating' the individual updates from the rollup package would be contrary to msft's intentions.

I am not saying their intentions are correct/make sense.

Just for the sake of comparison...I have been alerted three times today that Linux Mint 18 has an update .....installing those three has taken approx 1 minute, and has not interrupted my work in any way.

And...as silkntired has pointed out...waiting for msft to see the error of their ways/apply a common sense approach.........you may as well wait for the Titanic to resurface/wait for hell to freeze over....

In a common sense world you would think that msft would have thought of the implications where an update sends someones pc screwy...and that they would have some procedure in place to remedy that situation.

The fact that they apparently do not have any "fix" in place ....suggests strongly that they don't care.

So....what else is new ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

One thing I have noticed with this 'rollup' update is that it doesn't install cleanly.

I haven't had the problems with it that some have but on three computers running Win 7 it has downloaded and installed OK, but when you do the required re-boot it shuts down and applies the update seemingly normally, the problem is on the re-booting side. On average it has 'Update failed, reverting changes' about 2.5 times per computer. This is more than a little inconvenient when you are trying to get some work done.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:04 PM

If anyone has a WSUS server just remove any Automatic Approvals.

Then manually allow each update i guess.

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:12 AM

At Ongweoweh Corp., a pallet and packing management company in Ithaca, N.Y., four of its HP EliteBook 840 laptops froze multiple times a day following the October update. Those Windows 7 PCs did not have any problems prior to the update, said Jim Davies, director of IT.

Admins did a factory reset, which wipes the PC and reconfigures it as if it just came out of the box, and the blue screens went away. The IT department will be on the lookout for any more issues that may occur around the time of monthly Windows OS updates, Davies said.

I would of thought prior to doing any updates , to take an Image of the Drive , in the event the Updates cause an issue.

It only take 10 - 15 minutes and 10m to restore if needed { Mine Does } and then they need`nt have to resort to Factory Settings and start all over etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users