Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with reinstallation CD?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Greetings.  Re: Windows 7 Pro reinstall. 

I was having a lot of problems with my computer so I planned to do a wipe and reinstall my operating system. I bought a DBAN disc and succeeded in doing a clean wipe of my hard drive which is new about 6 months ago. My computer came with Vista Business so my plan was to reinstall the Vista and the upgrade with the Windows 7 Pro. I reinstalled the Vista Business with no problems and went on the use the Windows 7 Pro. Everything went OK past the downloading of all the programs and files and it looked like smooth sailing. At one of the restarts, the Dell symbol came on and the the colored logo and then it went off to the not so black screen. There was a note in the beginning of the reinstall telling me that it could take as long as 8 hours to complete, so I was prepared to wait. As I sat there waiting, I went through two restarts about 15 minutes apart that ended up again with that not so black screen. I let it sit for about an hour and nothing more happened. Having done a reinstallation of the Windows 7 Pro without doing a wipe a couple of times, it seemed to me that there is a problem somewhere and is the reason I am writing here. Note: I think I should explain using the term "not so black" in reference to the screen. On a couple of occasions I restarted the unit by hitting button to shut if off and as I did that I noticed that here was a slight blink on the monitor as if there was "some light" on it. Actually, on one occasion, I just left the computer and put the room light out an noticed that in the not so black condition, the screen has a faint glow. Thanks for any input. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

As strange as this will come across, I wished you had made a full image of your successful Vista install onto external media before starting the Windows 7 install -- that way, we have a backup of part 1 of 2 parts that can be restored if part 2 is failing.  Exactly what manufacturer, model is the computer?  Came with Vista, correct?  Which version, OEM or Microsoft, is Windows 7 Pro?  Where from?

Edited by RolandJS, 01 November 2016 - 11:45 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:30 AM

Anytime Upgrade from Vista...has been dead for some time now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Anytime_Upgrade

Louis

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

Roland JS: My unit is a Dell Inspiron 546 and yes, the unit did come with Vista Business. I retain both the Vista & Windows upgrade to 7 Pro CDs.

hamluis: yes, I know but I always understood, unless I am wrong, that I had to reinstall the Vista before I can use the upgrade to 7 Pro. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:00 PM

You do not need to install Vista first. It is possible to do a clean install of Windows 7 using the upgrade media.

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

FWIW:  IMO (just a guess) any info relative to using Anytime Upgrade with Vista...is outdated.  Microsoft is doing it's best (IMO) to kill Win 7...I suspect that any attempt to use update mechanisms which date back to before 2015...may not function as one might presume.

Louis

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

Let us know if the fresh Windows 7 Pro install goes well.  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

Just can't get it to budge. Right now if I restart with the disc in or out, all I get is the Dell logo with the colored balls coming toward you and the after that, nothing. I just won't go.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

I am assuming this is an install disk. Tap F12 at boot and select your Optical drive. If that does not work try the following.

Create an iso image from the disk using Imgburn. Select a read speed no faster than 4x if possible. Use the iso Imgburn created with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Attach the flash drive and tap F12 at boot to select your boot device. 

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users