Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New built computer powers on, but no display and no POST beeps

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 unmarked

unmarked

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

Hi guys, I'm Abby. I'm building a PC for the first time. I've put it all together and it turns on, seems like everything is spinning, but there is no picture on the monitor and I'm kind of freaking out that I did something wrong, or that I accidentally shocked one of the parts. Can you please help?

Motherboard::: Asus AMD 760G Chipset - Socket AM3+ M5A78L-M/USB3
RAM::: G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 RipjawsX Series for Sandy Bridge (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit Desktop Memory Module
CPU::: AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor
SSHD: Seagate 2TB Desktop Gaming SSHD(Solid State Hybrid Drive) SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000DX001)
Case::: Cooler Master Elite 350 (CMP 350) - Mid Tower Computer Case with Included 500W Power Supply

No blu-ray drive yet. Like I said, when I turn my computer on, it seems to power on okay. The mobo's light is green, and all of the lights on the PC are working. All the fans are spinning, so I would think it's working as intended. But there is no picture on the screen, just says no signal.

I followed this video to build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0SUuDbqs8

At each step I double checked everything was done correctly and that the cables were plugged in completely. 

Here is what I have tried:

Remove RAM to see if beeping occurs; no dice
Used two different monitors on HDMI and DVI; no change
Took out CMOS battery and put back in; no change
Removed and re-seated graphics card; no change

Here is what I am going to try tonight:

Connect with VGA cable (my coworker says it could be set to VGA as a default - is that possible and if so how could I change it to HDMI?)
Remove and re-seat CPU
Check power supply by plugging into the wall (I really don't think this is the problem since it spins up the fans, but might as well try)
Connect internal speaker to see if it's beeping and just not hearing it - here is the speaker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DM56TFY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Remove graphics card and boot without it
Boot bare bones (mobo, onboard graphics, CPU, 1 stick of RAM)
Remove SSHD and boot
Replace CMOS battery

I'm worried the mobo is DOA, though it's brand new so I should be able to get a free replacement. I'm also worried that somehow my parts are not compatible. FYI this is a build a friend gave me - the only difference is the graphics card - it's the same brand just slightly different from the one he recommended.

I'm not really sure what else to do to get myself up and running. Can someone please help? Is there anything else I should try before I replace the mobo? I'm a total noob at this so please go easy on me. :)

Here is a pic of the inside:

Attached File  1031162039_Film1.jpg   224.58KB   0 downloads

Here is a pic of the mobo plug-ins:

Attached File  1031162041_Film1.jpg   89.63KB   0 downloads

Edited by unmarked, 01 November 2016 - 09:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Does your graphics card have power connector that you might have forgotten to connect? Sorry I am at work and I cant click those links to see what you got going there

#3 unmarked

unmarked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

Hi :) It has a 6-pin connector that I have plugged in to the power supply. Unfortunately I'm also at work so I can't test anything til I get home. I want to try booting it without the graphics card and see what happens. A friend also told me I should plug my monitor into the graphics card - it's currently in the mobo port. So I'm hoping that fixes the issue. I have never felt dumber in my life! I have a computer science degree and everything... haha. :)

#4 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

Ah, ok.   Also if connecting it to the graphics card still doesn't work, try a different 6 pin connector, it could be that the connector is faulty.

Most likely the issue was due to it being plugged into the mobo and not the graphics card though.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

Wouldn't  matter where the monitor was plugged in.  The video card should start and let the CPU begin loading BIOS. That's the first thing you should see on the monitor when booting is the GPU BIOS and then the CPU, memory and so on.  Any multiple beeps are MOBO related, most often memory faults.

#6 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

But if there is no input, how can there show an output of the bios? If the Connector is out naturally it would not display anything thing which includes the BIOS.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

Wouldn't  matter where the monitor was plugged in

Depends. Usually when the board detects a vid card, the integrated memory is automatically disabled so plugging the video cable into that mainboard port would not work. If there is a video card installed, that is where the cable should be connected.

Are you getting the system beep when you first power-up?

By the way, Abby, you might want to carefully check those cable bundles that are around the CPU heatsink fan; since there is no grill cover for the fan, any loose cable could flop over onto the fan and break off a fin of the blade or jam it. At the top edge of the fan shroud I see what looks like a molex connector (yellow wire) that appears to not be fastened; if that flops over into the fan it will cause problems. Same goes for the rear vent fan also.

Here is a bench build and testing tutorial that may help you with some suggestions.

Edited by ranchhand_, 03 November 2016 - 08:21 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 unmarked

unmarked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:55 AM

Ah, ok.   Also if connecting it to the graphics card still doesn't work, try a different 6 pin connector, it could be that the connector is faulty.

Most likely the issue was due to it being plugged into the mobo and not the graphics card though.

Thank you for the help. Everything was fine, the display just needed to be plugged into the graphics card. As soon as I switched that everything came up roses!

Wouldn't  matter where the monitor was plugged in.  The video card should start and let the CPU begin loading BIOS. That's the first thing you should see on the monitor when booting is the GPU BIOS and then the CPU, memory and so on.  Any multiple beeps are MOBO related, most often memory faults.

Hi there. In this case, it did matter! Once I plugged it into the GPU it worked wonderfully. I wasn't getting any beeps from the MOBO until I went out and grabbed a little internal speaker. Then I got the one beep test pass, got windows booted from USB, everything looks good!

Wouldn't  matter where the monitor was plugged in

Depends. Usually when the board detects a vid card, the integrated memory is automatically disabled so plugging the video cable into that mainboard port would not work. If there is a video card installed, that is where the cable should be connected.

Are you getting the system beep when you first power-up?

By the way, Abby, you might want to carefully check those cable bundles that are around the CPU heatsink fan; since there is no grill cover for the fan, any loose cable could flop over onto the fan and break off a fin of the blade or jam it. At the top edge of the fan shroud I see what looks like a molex connector (yellow wire) that appears to not be fastened; if that flops over into the fan it will cause problems. Same goes for the rear vent fan also.

Here is a bench build and testing tutorial that may help you with some suggestions.

Thanks for the tip, ranchhand. I will definitely pick up some grill covers. I still have everything opened up and on its side until I know I'm completely finished, so right now it's pretty easy to keep the cords off the fan. :)

#9 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:08 AM

Your welcome, unmarked.  Post if you run into any other issues :)

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:19 PM

The version of the DVI on your unit then has handshaking with a monitor, most, or the usual DVI don't.  HDMI certainly does and when paired with a TV versus a monitor, things can scrambled and not let other devices turn on properly, recognizing other devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users