Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't log in/Issues when it does

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

Hey guys,

Hopefully you can help here as I have no idea what is going on. This is just another in a seemingly long line of things that have gone wrong, mostly to do with when the PC is restarted.

At the moment when the PC is restarted and it gets to the password screen for windows and I enter my password, I get the loading spinning dots and eventually it goes back to the enter password again. It doesn't give me any error message or anything, it just loads and then goes back to entering password. If I restart the PC this always happens. However, if I shut the PC down and then start it again it won't do this. It accepts my password and logs me into windows no issues. However, whenever this happens there is some issue with windows it seems. Everything in my browser seems fine but on my desktop and in any windows folders there is no text. Only icons. It also won't let me go into any folders, it just does nothing when I double click them. If I try to open anything like a photo or play a song, just nothing happens.

As I say, this seems to be another in a long line of things that have happened. Most recently it was the screen turning to black and not allowing any input right after putting my password in. Before that it wasn't even getting to the password screen, it would blue screen with the big :( and then restart. Each time in the past I have gotten so frustrated that I've just ended up formatting and starting again .. which I'm getting really sick of. The last time with the black screen was only about 3 weeks ago. In that time I have hardly used the PC really so I don't know what is being done to seemingly keep causing issues with logging in. In those 3 weeks though whenever I have used my computer it's been flawless. It always seems to for a short amount of time and then all of a sudden there is inevitably some issue with it that seems to revolve around it restarting/logging in.

I'm not sure what info I can give really. Normally I rely on my computer to tell you what specs are but I can't click through any folders. Its a custom build. About 3 years old but with a SSD being the latest hardware addition which I run my Windows on only being a year old. 

The only info is occasionally gives me is when I try to open a file or program it will say "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel" .. which, I don't know what that means.

Some things will open if I right click them and open them, like some PDFs and Word documents. If I try to open an mp3 it says "Bad direct sound driver. Please install proper drivers". If I try to open a jpg it says "class not registered" ... and these are only by right clicking and open. Double click does nothing. If I right click to launch a game it will but with no sound. 

All my drivers are also up to date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ... will provide as much info as I can if more is needed.

Edited by thepokey, 01 November 2016 - 07:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:46 AM

Also, not sure whether this means much, but the past few times I have formatted, windows seems to install strangely.

When I format and delete the old partions on the SSD I want to install it on and then it goes about installing, the first time it restarts in the install process it goes back to restarting the whole install from scratch - put in the Windows serial number, the keyboard and language set up etc. asks which partion to install on...so I do it all again and it loops again and upon the first restart it begins anew. But then all of a sudden without doing anything differently maybe the 3rd or 4th repetition of this it will continue to install Windows as per normal.

It's done that the last 2 times I have wiped windows to start again. Needless to say it is a completely legit copy of Windows I bought from a store on USB and all that, so no issue with dodgy copies or anything.

Not sure if it could even be related but just something I thought of

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users