Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting to Internet. Please Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oligopoly

oligopoly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

Setup
At home, I have a a BT hub in an upstairs bedroom which is cabled through Ethernet wall sockets down to my office. Due to foil-lined walls in the office we don’t get Wi-Fi there so I bought a TP-LINK TL-WR841N to use as an access point for our phones.

Problem
I followed a guide (sort of) to try and set up the TP-linkup as a repeater but I didn’t get very far. I think I must have changed the wrong setting in the TP-Link admin back-end because now, when I Ethernet my PC to the BT hub it just says 'Identifying...' and can't connect to the Internet. My wife’s mac on the first Ethernet port is fine and when I put my Ethernet cable into her Mac she can access internet fine.

The only way I can get internet on my PC is to Ethernet the TP-Link to the BT hub and then Ethernet my PC to the TP-Link. The problem is that my PC isn't on the home network this way and so I can’t use Plex on various Now TV/Fire Tvs that we have round the house.

When my PC is connected to the BT hub, I try and run ipconfig and I get the following:

image.jpg

Then when I try and diagnose the issue it comes up with the following but the repairs are unsuccessful.

image.jpg

I have factory reset the TP-Link but this has made no difference.

Last night, my friend who knows a lot more than I do helped me, running CMD prompts to "netsh int ip reset" etc but this didn't help. I then reset all program settings through Windows 10 which has removed all programs from my pc but I still can't connect to the home network or internet via the BT hub!

I could reinstall windows but it would be a huge inconvenience so is a last resort. 

I could try and reset the BT hub but my wife would kill me (figuratively but perhaps literally) if this caused a problem for other devices as she needs the internet for work.

Any ideas?! I am away from my PC until this evening but could post any screenshots if necessary later...

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oligopoly

oligopoly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. What a helpful and responsive community you've got here.

#3 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

If everybody only asked questions as you have with 2 total post, nobody would get answers.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

Try posting in the networking section.

edit also try flushing the DNS: ipconfig /flushdns

Edited by chalup, 03 November 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

Might be worth having a read of the many posts here

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2927670/network-protocols-missing.html

Also a few good ideas here

http://www.askvg.com/fix-one-or-more-network-protocols-are-missing-on-this-computer-error-in-windows/

#5 jacklai

jacklai

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

Sometimes the issue comes from a damage connection :(

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:48 AM

You can reset TCP/IP protocol suite to resolve your issue.

Repair TCP/IP Protocol Suite Errors

Posted Image

#7 oligopoly

oligopoly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:48 AM

Thanks. It got fixed in the end with a factory reset on the BT hub.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:49 AM

You are welcome, i'm please to know you got your problem resolved.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users