Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Case fan advise

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Veng3r

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:40 AM

Hi, I'm adding a couple of case fans to my Fractal Design Define R3 case but I need help with a couple of points before I buy the fans.

The manual for my case states some fans positions are for intake fans and some positions are for exhaust fans but I can't see any referrence to intake or exhaust fans when looking on ebuyer. Do I need to buy specific intake or exhaust fans or is the airflow direction controlled by the motherboard or fan controller?

I've got space for one extra intake fan on the front of the case and one extra intake fan on the bottom of the case but that would give me three intake fans and only one exhaust fan, is this a good setup or can I decide to use an exhaust fan on the bottom of the case instead?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Veng3r, 01 November 2016 - 06:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

Fans run one way only (as long as correctly connected) - the airflow direction is indicated by an arrow on the fan frame - BUT they can (generally) be mounted either way round & so can be used as either intake or exhaust.

How you arrange the fans is up to you, but it's probably best to follow the case manufacturer's guidance.

Edited by rqt, 01 November 2016 - 07:11 AM.

#3 jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:57 AM

It's better I think to have positive air pressure in the case, which will be the reason for using more intake fans than exhaust fans.  Negative air pressure in the case results in dust being drawn in through every gap in the case, through optical drives and so on, which will cause a problem over time.  Hot air rises so generally you want your exhaust fan(s) to be towards the top of the case.  The power supply exhausts air through the rear, but where it's bottom mounted (drawing air from under the case) it's basically self contained and doesn't really impact on case air flow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users