Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How did you expert members learn what you know?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

So many members on bleeping computer know many great technical things about computers, equipment, devices, and software.  I would like to know, how did you learn what you know?  Mostly experience, trying things, or asking questions yourself to other experts?  Or computer sci and engineering courses and lab activities?  On-the-job training?  Study engineering and Mathematics big-time?  What?  How?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

The first time I ran into a computer which I was expected to use I had to turn to my neighbour in the class and ask 'How do you turn the thing on?'.  I did have an excuse, it was a 486 with the on switch on the back panel !

Everybody's experience is different. I started by doing an HNC (sort of a senior technician's qualification) in the gentle art of the maintenance of computer controlled machinery and bought a 2nd hand computer to do my course work on. More flexible than trying to find time on a college computer. Then it needed a bigger hard drive and I installed a whopper of a 105MB hard drive. Picked up the theory mainly in class and the practical by building and upgrading computers for myself and friends, and sorting out problems along the way.

But I would not regard myself as expert, a competent amateur at best, and I have a fairly good idea of my limitations.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users