Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Remove WD SmartWare Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

The instructions provided by Western Digital here: https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=3835#winnosw

Do NOT work!! It "fails" on EVERY computer that I try it on.

I need real instructions on how to remove this annoying drive from My Computer

Can anybody tell me how to really remove the drive for good? I tried submitting a request to Western Digital for support but I am unable to because it asks for a S/N which the label came off the drive ages ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,063 posts
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

The only thing I found was to disable the CD virtual drive in Device Manager. I could not disable it as it's part of the WD drive's firmware. I zero wiped the drive and reformatted. As soon as I attached the drive the virtual CD drive still showed in Device Manager.

#3 AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

To get the serial number of the drive, open the Virtual CD, run the WD "Unlock" software (unlock.exe) - tells you the serial number on the screen.

Edited by AnotherMindbomb, 31 October 2016 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users