Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

windows update driver error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 markab

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

i have a msi GX70 laptop with windows 10 installed, upgraded from windows 8. i tend to have minor problems with it all the time, but the latest one has me the most concerned. a couple of days ago i left my laptop on when i was doing something in another room. upon returning i saw a notification on my screen -- i didn't take an image of it, but it was something along the lines of saying my hardware had changed and to restart the computer. i ran a few virus scans with malwarebytes and avast but nothing came up so i just let it go. well, a couple of hours later i BSOD'd with the stop code: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION

talking to my friend revealed that she got that BSOD when drivers failed to install, and when i checked the updates it turned out that windows had failed to install a graphics driver. i assumed that was all it was. i had to install a new graphics driver, since all my games were running at unplayable framerates and it turned out that the attempted install had completely wiped my graphics driver to the point where i couldn't open radeon settings (i have a r9 m290x). after installing the correct driver everything was running fine and i assumed that was the last of it. HOWEVER, when i was doing this, my first idea was to system restore back to the correct drivers. no dice -- it told me the restore point was corrupted, and when i tried a different point it told me that the restore hadn't completed successfully, that 'the drive might be corrupt', and gave me the error code (0x81000204). it said to run checkdisk but when i tried to do so, by left-clicking on the hard drive and going to properties, it told me there were no errors on the drive and i didn't need to scan. crystaldiskinfo says the drive health is good so i'm not sure what is wrong with that or if it is at all relevant.

today i got back from class, sat down to do work and looked up to see that my computer had turned itself off. i think it was hibernating, but it hung at a black screen when i turned it back on for about 5 minutes to the point where i just held down the power button to turn it off. when i booted back in and tried to input my password, the screen just started flashing black repeatedly, a little like they do when you install a new driver, and i got the same popup as before i got the BSOD, saying that my hardware had changed and i needed to restart the computer. so now i'm very concerned.

this is turning into a giant mess and i don't know what is going wrong so i figured i'd ask. 1) is it possible windows update is just determined to install this driver that doesn't work for my pc (it needs legacy drivers so there is no way i should be getting graphics driver updates right now) and if so how do i stop it or is there something else going on and 2) is the system restore error something i should be concerned about and how should i go about addressing it if so?

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2016 - 04:11 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Veng3r

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

I've never upgraded windows as I've read it can cause all sorts of issues. I believe you're always best with a fresh install.

Unfortunatly I don't know how to help you recover your current windows installation to a working state. If I were you I'd download all the drivers for the laptop from the manufactures site, backup anything you don't want to loose and then reinstall windows completely. A fresh installation of windows will resolve any software issue.

Maybe look into creating an image of your windows installation once it's back up and running with everything installed as that's a much quicker way of reverting to a working system if you encounter similar problems in the future.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users