Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with ping problems?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gillmon

Gillmon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hello I am hopping that someone can help me diagnose my internet so I can find out what to tell my isp to try to get them to fix my problem. (I am in contact with the top tech sup and he said he doesn't see a problem) Before this I had a stable ping of 140 in any game and got 80-140ms when pinging google. It started about two months ago, rarely for a few hours a day (no specific time)my ping will be stable to a degree, 140 ping in games with a spike of 400-900 a few times every 20m. Normally though it is pinging from 300-1400ms +.

Testing I have done my self: If I open cmd and ping a website, eg. google.com or 8.8.8.8 the ping time that I receive is normal.http://imgur.com/a/JFKtL
If I run a tracert to the IP though I get such results http://imgur.com/a/W4Wi9
Also if I test it on speedtest.net I get http://imgur.com/a/vZo7A
I have also pinged all the different pings that the tracert gives for this http://imgur.com/a/v678m
(BTW I have tested this with different IP's too.. not just google DNS. Same results 

Notes about system, I have tested this and gotten same results when :
Tested while pluged into router.
Tested with wireless (On 3 different computers)
Checked wires, the wire that I have from PoE to pc I replaced to see if was problem. (Was not)
Plugged directly into PoE. (Do not have a wireless card in pc for it to interfere)

If anyone is able to help please do frown.gif  I am unsure what to do from this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

Are you maxing out your bandwidth? Your ping time to your ISP looks fine.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

You are double NAT. You have a router (your router) behind another router (RR gateway?) and you are getting 6% packet loss between the two.  You are getting some other packet loss too (maybe) further up, but can't tell for sure without first bypassing the packet loss between the routers. Can you run a tracert while connected directly to the ISP gateway(192.168.3.1)?

PS. What model ISP gateway or router do you have?  Looks like something by Amped or Huawei?

Edited by Trikein, 19 November 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

Nice Catch Trikein, I didn't even see the double the double NAT. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

No problem, although I think your idea might be what is causing the packet loss between the two routers to begin with. With double NAT the second router has to do more work so it becomes the bottleneck when saturating bandwidth. 

My guess is OP has a ISP gateway that WAS bridged to their router, but something happened 2 months ago to reset it back to factory. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users