Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba laptop won't boot :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

My laptop has been having issues lately, last week it would randomly lose power (as if plug was pulled), this happened a few times but always started up again easily and it actually didn't happen for the last week. Then yesterday I tried to turn it on and it would just make a bit of noise for 30 second, then the fan would run full power for 2-3 seconds and power off. No lights flashed, no power in the screen at all, nothing.... I was of course panicing but after leaving it for a while it started to work again, well until tonight... Then tonight while using it, it froze and went back to not starting the same as yesterday.

The laptop is a Toshiba L670 with windows 8 installed.

So far I've tried unplugging the battery/cable. Tried forcing the power off before the fan makes noise, hitting escape/f8 repeatedly. But nothing seems to do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?? I am freaking out :( I may get it to boot again if I keep trying, but at the moment it is looking like it won't :(

Edit:

After leaving it alone for a while it then booted into windows again (no idea why having a rest seems to help but still....), but then after about 10 minutes went to an error screen regarding: page_fault_in_nonpaged_area ntfs.sys.

Edited by noz03, 31 October 2016 - 06:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

You hard disk could be failing please follow instructions at below website link to view SMART report and repair surface errors of your hard disk drive.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

Posted Image

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

You hard disk could be failing please follow instructions at below website link to view SMART report and repair surface errors of your hard disk drive.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

Actually I think I found out that it is a memory problem. I tried removing one of the RAM sticks and it worked, slow as hell but working. Started trying combinations to see which stick it was and think it is actually related to the slow, both sticks work in slot 1 but if either stick is in slot 2 the whole laptop stops running.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do about that though? Is it fixable?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

Clean the slot with compress air see that will repair slot 2.

Does the computer always boot slow even with one memory module connected or only once when you connect the memory module?

Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

Did the second DIMM slot come from the factory with a RAM module installed in it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users