Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista desktop - no USB ports are working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jakkwb

jakkwb

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

Does anyone know where I can download the Vista fixit tool for usb? Its 9802032, but all MS references to it are gone...

Performed a fresh install of Vista, put all updates on, USB ports are detected but when I plug in a USB storage device, I get the message "USB device not recognized", then "unknown device" shows up in the USB controllers list in device manager.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

There were no issues with USB devices being detected before the clean install, correct? I am not sure it will help but have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

#3 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:01 PM

Yes, all mobo drivers are installed and working. Any other USB device works fine, just storage devices do not.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

That is strange. Is this with storage devices attached to the front ports? You have tried the back USB ports, correct? 

The only thing I can think of to try is using a powered USB hub if one is available.

I will see if I can find the Fixit but you are correct, the fixit is no longer available on Microsoft's site. There is a fixit available but only for Windows 7 and higher but I don't understand why this would be happening on a fresh install.

Edit: I forgot one other item that may help and that is to disable the ability of Windows to turn off power to the USB hub.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 October 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#5 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

No, all ports front and back do the same thing. I can plug a USB mouse into any of them, and it works fine...

Let me look at that power link...

#6 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Well those options were already disabled...So, power is not the problem...

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

I am wondering if a powered USB hub would work. But, to confirm if you USB ports are good I would boot a small live linux distro. I recommend Fatdog64. You can burn the iso to a CD using Imgburn on the Vista computer or on any Windows 7 and later computer right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. 

After booting to the Fatdog desktop attach your hard drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop next to the internal hard drive partitions. Click once on it and the drive will mount and a File Manager will open showing the contents of your hard drive. If the external does mount then it's a Vista issue which you can try to repair by deleting all the USB hub controllers, rebooting and Vista reinstalling them.

This is Vista updated to SP2?

Fatdog64-702.iso

#8 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

Yes, SP2. I have already deleted all USB items and let Vista reinstall them...

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

Give Fatdog a shot. If that works then I have no idea why Vista is not allowing you to attach a USB storage device. Maybe somebody else on the forum has some ideas. I have not been able to find that fixit from Microsoft, sorry. Microsoft did have a fixit portable app but that also no longer works as it can no longer download the apps from Microsoft's servers. 

Just a note. Vista's end of support is April 2017. Known security holes will not longer be patched.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users