Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadband Speed - Laptop vs Desktop Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IH0190

IH0190

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my broadband line at home from 150Mbps to 200Mbps with my ISP.

It's been a few weeks since I upgraded and hadn't tested broadband speed for a while (tested it on day one and I was getting 200Mbps pretty consistently) but the past week I've noticed I am not getting anywhere near that speed.  My main machine is my laptop which is what I used to inititally test the speed.

Past week or so Laptop registers between 53 - 95Mbps.  Inititally, as above, it registered 200Mbps give or take.

Next to my laptop is my desktop which I also use frequently.  I tested the speed on this over the past week and the Desktop registers 213 - 217Mbps.

I run a network cable from the ISP's modem/router to a small hub in my office (the modem is in the next room).  From this hub there are 2 network cables, one running to the desktop and one running to the laptop so both are connected via the same cabling.

I formatted my laptop drive last night (not because of the speed) and tested the connection again and it hasn't had any impact.  I have a Gigabit card which is set to Auto Negotiation but I've tried setting it to 100Mbps Full / Half Duplex and the other options it offers me and tested each time, this has had no impact.

I have swapped the ethernet cable running from the laptop to my hub to see if that was the cause, no effect.

Both Laptop and Desktop have pretty identical software set ups - Both Win 10 Pro and both using same software firewall (with identical configurations).

I was hoping someone may be able to help me here.  Any ideas what this could be causingthe speed issue and what I could try to resolve it?  I am guessing it's some misconfiguration somewhere but I'm not sure where.  I have ensured all drivers for the LAN and WAN cards are up to date.

Thank you

Ian

Edited by IH0190, 31 October 2016 - 11:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

Connect the laptop directly to the router.  Bandwidth the same as now or do you get the 200?

#3 IH0190

IH0190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the response Wand3r3r.

Yes I've connected the laptop directly to the router with a single cable and the same speed is present.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

Have you updated the NIC (Network Interface Card) drivers on the laptop?

Have you tried swapping the desktop cable with the laptop to see if the problem moves?

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

Since a direct connect has the same results we know its isolated to the laptops network card.

As Kilroy as advised look into updated drivers for the nic.

#6 IH0190

IH0190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:59 AM

Many thanks for the advice all.

I did connect the laptop directly to the router and the same issue was present.

I spent a while removing and reinstalling the drivers a few times and finally, the problem was resolved :)  Seems it was a driver issue!

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

Glad to hear it worked out for you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users