Hello community of Bleeping Computer, I have an issue that I would like to get some help and suggestions on. I have a 1 TB Seagate External Hard Drive and I have trouble accessing/opening the files in it. This happens on yesterday's evening where I was able to access it just fine. But later that night, there's an issue with it. So I will list on the state and issue that I am facing.
- Connecting the external hard drive is fine. Windows detects it, the disk shows under my computer and there's the USB connected icon on system tray.
- There is no weird sound or beeping of any such produced by the hard drive when its connected.
- A full scan of antivirus shows clean, did a defragment and such.
- Viewing the hard drive under Windows partition shows it as healthy.
- All files are still inside the folder, there are no hidden items or such that is made by virus.
- When trying to open any files other than the hard drive itself (Double clicking F: for example), windows explorer will not respond and sometimes the green loading bar takes time to load and shows nothing. But not responding occurs more often.
- If I get lucky and manage to access one folder inside it, it shows up empty and under properties shows the size of it as 0kb as in no files despite if viewed under My Computer, the hard drive does have files in it. All hidden folders and items including Windows related are checked as shown, not hidden.
- When trying to attempt a copy paste the contents of the hard drive into my internal, the action window pops out but nothing was copied.
- If I try to eject the USB drive safely, the error window of the drive is in use always pops out and won't allow me to eject it. The only way I can eject it safely is when I shut down my laptop.
So basically, my computer detects the external and under My Computer, it is there. And when connected, it seems to be just fine as Windows Media Player detects it and syncs with it and etc but the major problem here is that, I can't access the files in it despite they are being there. Any help is much appreciated.