Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need suggestions for a free folder locker software.. Help please...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:51 AM

Im using windows 7 & I am the admin of my system. I dont have any other user accounts. I have a huge folder ( which is of 300 GB approx) which contains movies and shows. But I need them to be hidden & locked. 

Can anyone please please suggest me a good software for this? A freeware which doesnt include any size limitations, or limitations regarding the number of times the software can be used? One that doesnt take too long to hide/ show the folder as I access them frequently.. 

I tried googling but there are so many results & I cannot choose one particular software for this. Please I need anyone's help. Would be really thankful if someone could help me out on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

If you have googled and come up with candidates...you are the only one who can filter those candidates to find out which ones meets your desires, IMO.  You are the only one who has any real idea of what is acceptable and what is unacceptable for your purposes/intents.

Trial-and-error is what I envision.

Louis

#3 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:17 AM

If you have googled and come up with candidates...you are the only one who can filter those candidates to find out which ones meets your desires, IMO.  You are the only one who has any real idea of what is acceptable and what is unacceptable for your purposes/intents.

Trial-and-error is what I envision.

Louis

true.. 

But since I saw many users reporting that certain softwares they used locked their folders permanently & they lost all their data, I got scared. That is the reason why I want someone to suggest me a software they use.. & moreover since there are so many random softwares for this, its really confusing.. Please help..  

Edited by rebeccavalentine, 31 October 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

All encrypting/locking/hiding applications have a degree of risk. That layer being the human behind the keyboard. Forgetting a keystroke or passphrase. Being casual with not backing up data or access parameters. However most people will blame the software or application. Also remember that free means you're not likely to get as robust or as well of a supported app/product as a paid for one. What is your data worth to you? You should take that into consideration.

With all that being said. As Louis said only you know the parameters and requirements that need to be met. Why not try some of your google finds. I'd suggest since what you are looking for can be tested on a trial basis with dummy files. Then see if the application or applications fit your needs.

Here is one I found that you can try if you wish. I have no previous experience or knowledge of the product.

http://www.emingsoftware.com/products/private-folder/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

To The OP:  You said that you do not have any other user accounts except for admin.  That is a dangerous way to use a computer.  If your computer is compromised by malware, your encryption scheme can be compromised.  You should run as a standard user as much as possible.  

You need to weigh a few things:

1.  What is the consequence to you if the folders/files are discovered by someone else?

2.  Who are the probable and possible attackers (someone else or their ally)?  How computer literate are they?  What resources do they have?

3.  How will you back up your library?

The process of decrypting your folder/file and then playing the movie in windows is likely to leave traces of such on the system.  This may be enough to cause you problems.  Will the file names cause you problems?  

Be very careful.  There is a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to privacy and encryption tools.  I have used a simple hex editor to bypass locks offered under certain programs.  

This might point you in the right direction...

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-file-encryption-tools-5677725

#6 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

All encrypting/locking/hiding applications have a degree of risk. That layer being the human behind the keyboard. Forgetting a keystroke or passphrase. Being casual with not backing up data or access parameters. However most people will blame the software or application. Also remember that free means you're not likely to get as robust or as well of a supported app/product as a paid for one. What is your data worth to you? You should take that into consideration.

With all that being said. As Louis said only you know the parameters and requirements that need to be met. Why not try some of your google finds. I'd suggest since what you are looking for can be tested on a trial basis with dummy files. Then see if the application or applications fit your needs.

Here is one I found that you can try if you wish. I have no previous experience or knowledge of the product.

http://www.emingsoftware.com/products/private-folder/

Hmmm..

thanks for your suggestions.. 

:) 

#7 rebeccavalentine

rebeccavalentine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

To The OP:  You said that you do not have any other user accounts except for admin.  That is a dangerous way to use a computer.  If your computer is compromised by malware, your encryption scheme can be compromised.  You should run as a standard user as much as possible.  

You need to weigh a few things:

1.  What is the consequence to you if the folders/files are discovered by someone else?

2.  Who are the probable and possible attackers (someone else or their ally)?  How computer literate are they?  What resources do they have?

3.  How will you back up your library?

The process of decrypting your folder/file and then playing the movie in windows is likely to leave traces of such on the system.  This may be enough to cause you problems.  Will the file names cause you problems?  

Be very careful.  There is a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to privacy and encryption tools.  I have used a simple hex editor to bypass locks offered under certain programs.  

This might point you in the right direction...

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-file-encryption-tools-5677725

Yes I read that in this forum. But was too lazy to create a standard user account.. Will definitely try creating one, very very soon :) Thanks :)

1) Consequences will be so bad..

2) LoL.. The possible attackers are none other than my parents. I belong to a family where my parents dont like me watching shows. But i do. So i have to keep them safe else I ll get caught.. They arent much computer literates. They have only a very little knowledge. 

3) I back up my movies folder in an encryped external HDD of mine.. They dont use that HDD.. 

Traces? Now i play them as such, in my system.. So encrypting them would still be a safer option when compared to playing them as such.. isnt it??

File names? No.. The episodes are all named by numbers, so it wouldnt cause any trouble.. 

& thanks a ton for all your suggestions :) thank you so much :)

Edited by rebeccavalentine, 31 October 2016 - 08:28 PM.

#8 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/security/fwfileprotection.html

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users