Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Usage at over 2% for Record Breaking period!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:41 AM

This Topic is of significance & shows that the tide is shifting our way. :guitar:

Ever since June 16, 2016, Linux usage has been at or above 2.02%, which is a record, and not recorded by DistroWatch, rather a real stat counter in NetMarketShare, whom collects data from all computers, including smartphones, online. 

Without further ado, let's look at the progress. :)

https://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0

While there's been dips, the closest the Linux market share has fallen was to 2.11% on August 16, 2016. When the total number of computers online is figured up, this equals many millions of Linux users online every day. It also shows what I've been stating since at least 2013, consumers are getting fed up with Windows. Plus their largest usershare was denied a service pack that would had extended the life of Windows 7, bad business to ignore their largest customer base, reflects badly against the corporation & are now paying the price, with more customers looking towards Linux to meet their needs, at a minimum, when home, where they can also learn the OS of their choice. :)

In fact, there's a semi-hidden way (a desperation attempt by Microsoft) to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, by claiming the need for assistive technologies, though no proof is required, using IE for best results, download the app & one can freely upgrade. However, given the poor reception while openly free, and the drop at the end of the year's free promo, doesn't mean that folks will be beating at the door for the trick, which is legit. The site even states in fine print, that the use of these technologies isn't required, proof that the deadline has been extended by disguise. Microsoft are desperate & backpedaling to regain their former longtime coveted 90% (plus) market share. Note the asterisk beside the bottom requirement (above 'Upgrade Now') & the 3rd 'FAQ', nowhere on the bottom of the page are assistive technologies mentioned. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

In retrospect, lets go back to 1984, before Microsoft's flagship OS was named Windows, when Bill Gates was struggling to have any market share. He'd have been tickled pink to have 2% market share, of which at that time, were a lot less people online then than now (probably would had been 20% or higher with current Linux usershare). Back then, UNIX was the major OS in use, of which plays a part in Linux today. 

So congrats to the folks who have converted, and to those like myself who pushes Linux hard to most everyone with performance related computer issues. Many of these once (sort of) faster computers when new are now burdened down from tons of Windows Updates. If began in 2009 & haven't reinstalled, probably close to 500 updates altogether, more if Office 2007 (soon to be retired), 2010, 2013 & the latest are installed. Installing most any Linux version makes these computers run better than new again, provided the computer is otherwise healthy. :)

Many Linux distros will literally scream on these machines, especially the MATE & Xfce editions, and while I cannot provide an exact number of converts to my name, the number has to be by now over 100 personally. Not counting all of the burned DVD's I passed out for users to try, which stormed one neighborhood I was helping in, with the built in Torrent client, where in recent years, feared for my safety. While I'll still assist some of these folks, it has to be on a neutral ground, such as McDonalds, Starbucks, or a public library with free Internet. These users, even with Malwarebytes Pro, were getting infected 3-5 times weekly, now no more infections, and hopefully they passed the word along to other neighborhoods. Each & every one of us has the same power to convert other users to a Linux distro. If we all were to gain just a single user, we'd be at 5% usershare in no time. :)

There's a lot of valid reasons why Linux usage has climbed, I've covered a few. 

Now, lets pull together to reach the 3% mark on the chart! :guitar:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 31 October 2016 - 03:46 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

Nice to see usage on the rise. Over time I can only see Linux usage going up, unless Microsoft makes some big positive changes, and really doubt they will. As usage rises I think we'll see more distros emerging too, which is great. The more choices the better! :)

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:16 PM

It's great news.

The only thing I'd like to mention though is if Linux starts to rise to the top of the pile the malware programmers will target us. Right now we have security in obscurity, but that may not always be the same.

I'm in the process of preparing and testing a Nix image for more than 1/2 of my fleet here at work, many of these PC's will never see Windows 10. It's going to take a real stand on behalf of the corporates (and corporate minions like me), as well as the consumers, before MS change their ethos.

Meanwhile we can expect many new converts and happy people using this excellent OS.

Long live the King!

Edited by TsVk!, 31 October 2016 - 11:23 PM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:26 AM

It's going to take a real stand on behalf of the corporates (and corporate minions like me), as well as the consumers, before MS change their ethos.

Yes, like a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for deceptive upgrading behind their backs, over a year back, once forgot (as many others) to shut down Windows 7 one evening, and when waking the next morning, noticed it still running, Clicked the mouse to shutdown, and to my (at the time) horrid surprise, there was Windows 10, installed & ready for the final stages of setup. 

Instead of then finishing setup, hard shutdown the computer & reverted to a backup taken with Macrium Reflect a couple of days prior. While I'd not dare do that with my NVMe SSD, this was a cheap 120GiB Samsung 850 EVO & took the chance of the crash. While it's not the ideal thing to do unless necessary, SSD's are tougher today than HDD's & many has inbuilt power loss protection. 

The thing I disliked the worst about the whole deal, was that the upgrade torched my Grub bootloader. :angry:

Of course, the backup image fixed things & back then, I took steps to ensure it wouldn't happen again, even if it had been left on for a month. :P

Compared to close to 7.75 years now, have been running Linux Mint MATE (formerly Main edition) happily as ever, haven't performed a transaction on Windows for over 4 years, and so far, haven't been hit by a Malware attack. This is why I only download .deb files as needed, usually when performing a new install & adding software (such as Google Chrome) that's not in the Software/Package Manager. 

TsVk! brings up a valid point, that as Linux usage increases, so will the chances of being targeted for Malware, just as iOS & Android users found out. Yet I have faith in the Linux community, whom puts their differences aside long enough to keep Linux OS's of all types patched, and no, there's not endless bureaucracy in getting these approved & shipped out. This is another issue that Microsoft must address, while they do push updates to W10 users as needed, rather than Patch Tuesday, these are still tied up in the labs & corporate office far more longer than necessary before releasing, too many times, still too late. 

One needs to look no further than our 'Am I Infected' forum line to see this, and yes some awaiting their turn are W10 users. I also see another market emerging from the growth of Linux, and that's an AV/AM market. While some premium names are out there already (think ESET NOD32 for LInux) & those who are running mail servers will need to scan mail before forwarding to Windows computers. As well as small businesses running Linux that requires active security per local business code & if taking credit/debit cards as payments, required by the ones whom oversees banking regulations. There will be more premium names stepping up to the plate, as of the moment, Sophos has a free offering for Linux users at home, kind of complicated to install, they'll be in the midst of any active protection & maybe already are. 

So the bottom line is still using responsible computing practices, as one would on Windows. :)

While I know that some folks runs Linux to perform tasks (some not legit or risky) that they'd not do on Windows, iOS or Android, just like the days of one being able to install the latest Linux versions on a computer sitting on the curb now gone, this also will eventually come to an end with growth. Linux users will have to watch their backs & take personal responsibility for our actions. Learning how to perform backup images, I don't care as to which choice, as long as it works, will be needed, and create one on at least a weekly basis. One can test their backup software's ability by restoring to the same size of drive & testing to make sure it boots, most will boot from USB, if using a 3.5" drive for restore/testing, leave in the docking station or powered enclosure & boot from that drive to ensure all is OK. 

While I've successfully cloned now three Linux Mint OS's from one SSD to another with Macrium Reflect WinPE media, the last just two days ago & cloned faster than a Windows OS running at the same time & the latter had a 8-10 minute head start, yet still finished last, I've yet to restore a backup image taken (though will very soon). Much of the increased speed was probably in part due to significant less data on the drive (about 25GiB at the most, total root & /home), the other is that with Linux, Macrium performs a 'smart' clone with these file systems, and the partition structures will be exactly as before, assuming roughly the same size of drive. 

If the backup restore works as good as the clone, then Macrium Reflect, of which one still needs a Windows OS to create the media of the right type (32 or 64 bit) will be given a 'thumbs up' by me & will report the results in a separate Topic, however it's expected that Linux users will do the same as others & backup. I have a different way of backup when I reinstall an OS or upgrade to a newer (& my VM's weekly), which simply involves plugging in an external with ample free space, create a folder, name it Linux Backup or Linux Home Items, open the folder, then drag each major folder within Home with content (about 8-10 with Linux Mint MATE or Cinnamon) into that folder, using USB 3.0 or eSATA if possible for increased speed. Then when done, close the folder, safely remove or eject the external, and after new or reinstall of a broken OS, reattach that external, look at the folders dropped in with content, and delete those with the same name on the new install, then copy the main folders back over. The end result is no data loss whatsoever, as long as the external doesn't malfunction. :)

To further prevent data loss, be sure to be singed into one's browsers, this allows one to restore bookmarks, extensions within minutes, though I first suggest to enable the ufw Firewall & update the system before signing back in. 

The proof that Linux is growing is in the above chart in my OP, am proving tips to use responsibly & to share with others. We are the ones who can make Linux grow, and when the occasion arises, take the opportunity to show others a better way of computing. :)

One by one, the numbers continues to rise, not just due to the dirty deeds of Microsoft alone, rather the Linux community as a whole stepping up & assisting newbies in need as needed. :thumbup2:

Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:30 AM

It's strange, isn't it?

Before Satya Nadella replaced Ballmer, there was a really 'anti-Linux' sentiment at the top in Microsoft's corporate management team. When Nadella came in, there was a huge sigh of relief, as Nadella had claimed that these were going to be new, more co-operative times for Microsoft. 

All the extended 'hand of friendship' towards Linux has amounted to is one thing; poaching all the premier Linux technologies, then turning them 'closed-source', and attempting to use them to lock Linux users out of the ecosystem.

Google are doing the same thing, using Linux technologies to develop their brand new OS, which will supposedly be a combination of Chrome and Android amalgamated together, with the (supposed) intention of turning the 'web into their own private, walled garden.

Amazing how all these big corporations want to turn Linux against itself, isn't it? I think it's because they're alarmed at just how successful Linux has become.....

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

It's strange, isn't it?

Before Satya Nadella replaced Ballmer, there was a really 'anti-Linux' sentiment at the top in Microsoft's corporate management team. When Nadella came in, there was a huge sigh of relief, as Nadella had claimed that these were going to be new, more co-operative times for Microsoft. 

All the extended 'hand of friendship' towards Linux has amounted to is one thing; poaching all the premier Linux technologies, then turning them 'closed-source', and attempting to use them to lock Linux users out of the ecosystem.

Google are doing the same thing, using Linux technologies to develop their brand new OS, which will supposedly be a combination of Chrome and Android amalgamated together, with the (supposed) intention of turning the 'web into their own private, walled garden.

Amazing how all these big corporations want to turn Linux against itself, isn't it? I think it's because they're alarmed at just how successful Linux has become.....

Some of that does run into tin foil hat territory though

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:44 AM

Absolutely, Madman. Couldn't agree more..!

I should perhaps have made it clear that these are not my opinions, rather a sprinkling of such that I've gleaned off the 'net over the last 6-9 months or so. You'll always have the paranoid types, for whom NO O/S is ever going to be secure enough, whatever measures are implemented.

For myself, I must agree with Cat; I'm aware of a slow, but steady migration from Windoze/Crapple to the 'way of life' that just makes so much more sense....in every way. As Hollowface has suggested, though, we don't want to see it grow too big, too soon....just paints a big target on our backs.

5% would be a nice, elite target, to aim for!  :P

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

is that 2% of the population (that have computers online)? Wow, Go *Nix!!

if more people are starting to switch to linux then we should get busy making tuts.

As for the backup, i use Redo or Clonezilla. redo is acronis like ( bootable ) and capable of doing bare-metal backups.

I've never been a fan of Microscum/Crapple. I've gotten several people to switch (they picked ubuntu because it's easy to use and the elderly people like the big icons). 

The best thing about Nix, my acer died (sad day) so i popped my SSD into another computer and it fired up WITH the drivers and everything, just took a bit longer the first time, can't do that with Windoze or OSuX. (this was on UE5.0) 

It's just a matter of time before Microscum or Crapple takes one step too many. 

"In a world without walls and fences, we need no windows and gates." :)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

Why would Microsoft co-operate  with anybody unless it increases their bank balance?  Companies like MS and Google are public companies and the only people they have to please is their share holders.

Given half a chance MS would gladly see the death of Linux and Mac.

Support Linux by donating some money every time you install it.

The only thing I'd like to mention though is if Linux starts to rise to the top of the pile the malware programmers will target us. Right now we have security in obscurity, but that may not always be the same.

+1

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:18 AM

Support Linux by donating some money every time you install it.

+1! :thumbup2:

I recommend when possible to download your Linux of choice from one of their mirrors, rather than paying high prices ($6-10 shipped) that may or may not be current, or a short term version with no support. 

If one downloads Linux Mint & install it, there's a Welcome Screen that loads on every boot, unless disabled by removing the check in the 'Show this dialog at startup' box. On that page, the last link is a Donations one, where 100% of the proceeds goes towards future Linux Mint development, and keep in mind that they too (as well as other distros) has a Staff to pay. 'One man shows' are difficult to maintain, so it's best to avoid these & go with a mainstream distro, and when you find one that works your needs, then remember all of that cash you may have paid for Windows & MS Office licenses. 

While I don't donate to Linux Mint when installing for someone else, I show them the link if satisfied, and encourage them to donate what they feel is reasonable. As for myself, I don't make donations per install, rather 3 times per year, and have been doing so since late 2012. What started me into donating? Well, considering the crappy Windows 8 Pro promo in October 2012 where I paid close to $60 after taxes for two licenses ($40 for one & $15 for another), and at the time, hardly used, while running Linux Mint daily, that made me think hard. So just before Christmas that year, I donated $60 via that link on the Welcome screen, and have been making no less than $40 donations to Linux Mint since, three times per year. The last one of the year near the holidays is larger to show my appreciation for everything that Linux Mint has done for me since 2009, usually $100. 

Going back in time, and just being honest here, caught Windows 7 OEM & Full versions (legit ones) online at promo pricing, usually $79.99 for 7 Home Premium & $99.99 for 7 Pro, and stocked up on the OEM versions (two are still sealed), though one of those were gifted to me, plus MS 2007/2010. Going further back in time, OEM versions of XP Pro for $89.99, W2K for $15-25 (no validation required) OEM reinstall media for $20 per CD on eBay with a usually good RAM stick, a couple of times, working 2.5" HDD's & once, a DVI-D cable, brand new, required per MS OEM rules (if rarely requested, type in the COA on the computer & you're good), plus entire reinstall sets from the factory, though Dell was twice generous in giving me media at no cost. I still purchase reinstall media sets for those who insists on it & get paid back, that is, if the owner doesn't purchase it. Kind of a 'tough love' lesson for not creating the set when new, electing to check the box 'don't show this message again'. 

Not to mention two years of being a TechNet member, where I can still download products I have a COA for, and unlike those at the end, am 'grandfathered in', I dropped my membership just before the requirement to maintain an active membership status to continue to use the keys I received, meaning I never agreed to those terms. This meant I was able install the ones I purchased on promo to others (though will hold onto the one gifted to me, 7 Ultimate) & have regained more than I paid for all of the install media, and much of my TechNet subscription costs. :P

Considering all I forked over to Microsoft since around the year 2000, what I give to Linux Mint is a value deal, and I can set a little aside each month for the donations to ensure that they get theirs. And this money as I previously stated, all goes to Linux Mint. When one purchases install media from OSDisc.com, they give a portion of the profits. Meaning if they're running in the red during some months due to business expenses, the distro may get nothing. And when they do, the percentage is after the profits is figured up, not what one pays for the media. 

So it's best to donate directly to the distro when possible, most all have a visible link for this purpose & one can live in peace knowing their cash went direct to the distro. :)

And every one received, no matter how large or small, is greatly appreciated. So do your part to advance Linux development for all. :thumbsup:

Cat

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:33 PM

I know I already mentioned this on another thread but Remix OS (Android based) looks very promising as a Windows killer. :thumbup2:

#12 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:38 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm one of those people in that 2% who have had a gut full of Microsoft and given them the flick.  I've had enough of the sneaky underhanded despicable tactics employed by Microsoft especially the spying and trying to force me to install a crappy broken OS that I hate called windows 10.

I've been a windows user for many years but not anymore...about 6 mths ago I started looking at Linux.  I have a Desktop Computer with three Hard Drives.  One has Win 7 my fav OS but not for long...Hard Drive two has Mint 18 and the third has Zorin and can't decide between Mint or Zorin...so I run both.

I had several problems with Mint 17.3...Freezing...Graphic Card problems and update issues which don't seem to occur in Mint 18...fingers crossed.  Zorin runs very well and is similar to Mint as I have found...but the one problem I have with both is...running Software the only runs in Windows espically my printer (because it doesn't support Linux).

I solved this problem by installing Virtual Box and installing windows 7 in a virtual machine and installing software like Rufus...img burn and of cause my printer.  The virtual machine is not connected to the Internet so I don't need anti-virus software and there's nothing Microsoft can do about it either. :bananas:   I'm only a beginner with Linux but what I see so far I love and look forward to learning from you guys.  

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:55 AM

Given half a chance MS would gladly see the death of Linux and Mac.

Not exactly so, in fact, if it wasn't for a useless loan to Apple with every term favoring them, they'd be history. Even Steve Ballmer was against the idea, yet had no say in the matter. Bill Gates is who saved Apple from total bankruptcy in 1997. 

http://www.cultofmac.com/393889/ballmer-saving-apple-in-1997-was-craziest-thing-microsoft-ever-did/

https://www.wired.com/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-12-09/worst-deal-ever-microsofts-apple-investment

Probably one of the best loans in corporate history, weeks away from the lights going out, $150,000,000 in years to come turned out to be billions for Apple. Microsoft had the chance to finish off the competition with a swift kick to the ribs & gave in. To this day, we'll never know the whole truth, though Apple was suing them, they had zero time to wait for a court appearance, Bill Gates is the one who really made Apple the powerhouse that it is with that loan. 

Microsoft had the wide open chance to deliver the knockout punch and didn't. The rest is history.

Cat

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,100 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

I've had enough of the sneaky underhanded despicable tactics employed by Microsoft especially the spying and trying to force me to install a crappy broken OS that I hate called windows 10.

I disagree with the sneaky underhanded comment, Why? Because everything MS is doing or has done is clearly spelled out in the EULA, People need to remember that we the customers do NOT own our copy of Windows, We just pay for the right to use it

The  installed  software  products  of  MS  origin,  as well  as  associated  media,  printed  materials,and   “online”   or   electronic   documentation   (“SOFTWARE”)   are   protected   by   international intellectual  property  laws  and  treaties.  Manufacturer,  MS  and  its  suppliers  (including  Microsoft Corporation) own the title, copyright, and other intellectual property rights in the SOFTWARE. The SOFTWARE is licensed, not sold. All rights are reserved.

Consent  to  Use  of  Data You  agree  that  MS,  Microsoft  Corporation  and  their affiliates  may  collect  and  use  technical  information  gathered  in  any  manner  as part  of  product  support  services  related  to  the  SOFTWARE.  MS,  Microsoft Corporation  and  their  affiliates  may  use  this  information  solely  to  improve  their products or to provide customized services or technologies to you. MS, Microsoft Corporation and their affiliates may disclose this information to others, but not in a form that personally identifies you. 

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#15 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:12 PM

Nick,

Yes Microsoft has the EULA of some 40 pages outlining what they can and will do and when you place a tick in the terms and conditions box you agree to this...but there comes a time when enough is enough.

Spying on you and selling your information to Governments or anyone with cash is way too far in my opinion.  Tell many lies to suck people into believing Win 10 is much better than win 7 or 8.  They say they have the right to do what they want but I think Courts say otherwise...I know someone with a laptop who left it on overnight with Win 8.1 and woke up with Win 10 on it and it didn't work.  They were told to ring MS and tell them to put it back or we'll see you in court.

There's software to stop MS spying and installing Win 10 on our computers but I wonder how many secret back doors MS have on our computers to get around this ?  If we don't like what MS is doing to us...we don't use it anymore which is why I'm moving to Linux.

This guy says it best...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrvKyR9DGUY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users