Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is/Could my neighbor be spying on me?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahma

Sarahma

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

So I've been having this problem with my neighbor. So a few months, I had this neighbor that moved in. She was pretty bad to start, always getting into fights with her family and screaming loudly. This was pretty irritating to me, but otherwise ignorable if it wasn't for other things going on as well. I would notice her say things suspiciously similar to what I was looking at the time on my computer (I could go into more detail, if anyone wants). But most of them were vague and I chalked it up to a coincidence. Then one day, when I was hearing another one of her tirades, I typed "crazy neighbor whining" or something of the like into my search engine, simply as a way of venting. Well immediately, I heard her complain to her (father?) about how she feels like she can't talk about anything anymore with her father replying "Why do you care what she thinks of you?" That seemed suspicious, so I decided to test it again a few days later. I typed the same thing again into my phone when she was talking and heard a "How can she bleep hear me?" screamed next door. The third time, I did it again and immediately heard stomping and banging from next door, her standing next to the room closest to me in the house and saying "So you can hear me through the walls, right?" followed by more screaming. At one point, her dad got pulled into the argument, and I heard things like "I'm sick of this""Why are you obsessed with her" "She can't actually hear you". This continued on for some time, but I had to leave at this point to meet up with friends, so I did not catch anything else. After that, I told my family what was going on and we changed our wifi password. I haven't noticed any screaming (mostly) since then, but I've been getting alerts about "suspicious activity on your network" followed by IP addresses that are not mine (although don't match each other either). All of the messages happen specifically when I Google about her, no other time, and this is the 8 or 9th time I've gotten them. Any one have any idea what's going on? I don't think I can write this off as a coincidence anymore.

Extra: I've never spoken to her in my life, nor have I ever screamed back. My Google account password I changed months ago, and have two-step verification added on as well, so you can't get in without a password from my phone. The first two times I've tested it and heard screaming was on my phone, and the last time on my computer. I've gotten messages about suspicious on both my phone and computer, even though they're hooked up differently (wifi for by my phone, Ethernet for computer). As far as I know, both are controlled by our router, which is managed by my mother, and unfortunately has an easy to guess username and same password she uses for everything. Is it possible that that's how this is happening? Because I'm genuinely stumped. If any one more knowledgeable with technology than me could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:04 PM

Unfortunately it is possible, if she somehow managed to log to your router, it is easy to steal your network traffic (sites you visit, even passwords). Usually sites like Gmail and facebook use https (they are encrypted), so even if she stole your information she will be unable to read it. Also, she must be quite a sociopath to stalk you all the time- you said she responses the moment you type something, that should mean she is spying on you any second of her day. I myself had problems with hostile roommates in the past so can understand you, but you should also take in mind that it can be just you being paranoid. Cracking wifi's password is not that easy. I hope you also have administrator password (thats where your router settings are, if she logs too your wifi and your administration has no passwords she can make changes to your router settings, which is bad thing) As long as you have router, all the traffic can be intercepted, from the wifi and cable.

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

I'd certainly be switching to non-broadcast SSID (semi-hidden), choosing the best WPA2 method of encryption, and, choosing a very complex password; in light of someone already cracking your password, I'd be opting for at least a 16 character complex passphrase....."H@cK7h1$,P$ychoW0m@n!"

Many routers can also be set to only allow certain MAC addresses, and, block all others. Once you determine the friendly MAC addresses of every I-Phone, I-Pad, Galaxy notepad, laptop, desktop in your home, allow only those MAC addresses. (Probably best to reset/default your router, and promptly select a complex password for it as well...; some routers can be set to disallow admin changes via wireless, mandating an ethernet cable to do so, and, to your advantage, physical access will be required to make any changes.)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:55 AM

You could try power line network adapters and turn wifi off for a time.

Also make sure remote admin on the router is disabled if it has this function.

I'd also in your shoes do a deep scan of all my electric devices connected to the router to make sure nothing is infected as well as every thing the others have suggested.

Once you have secured every thing you could encrypt traffic using a vpn this may be enough to make her stop as she will no longer unless highly skilled be able to see what your doing.

Mind you if this was me i would take my concerns to the local authorities as her behavior is very very odd, cyber crime and stalking are illegal in most countries. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users