Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Isass.exe Problem

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 onesweetypie

onesweetypie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

I was trying to install Roxio because the one currently on the computer wouldn't work. The reinstallation failed somehow and afterwards it would only allow me to boot into safe mode. I then scanned the computer with AVG but I forgot what it said (there is a screenshot on the other computer but that's the one that is messed up). Anyways, after scanning AVG wouldn't work afterwards (maybe a half a week or a week) because Roxio had a bug (so it said). So I uninstalled AVG, to complete uninstalling I had to restart the computer. Afterwards, it booted back into normal mode and everything was fine.

I then updated Roxio first if not AVG couldn't function (so it said something of the sort). Then I re-installed AVG. Everything seemed normal and ran fine but I only had it in normal mode for half a day. I burnt a cd that same night and the next day .

The next day a pop window says:
"Isass.exe -System Error
An Invalid parameter was passed to a service or function".

The computer tech at Compusa told me each time anyone reinstalls or uninstalls a program the computer is liable to mess up. Is this true..it seems so LOL seeing as though my laptop is messed up. I wish I would of known that sooner!

Is there anyway around reformating? I have alot of data and programs on the computer. The Compusa techs said there was no way of retrieving programs which sucks because I had all sorts of programs on there. The Compusa techs said I need an attachment USB.

I don't really know where this goes, sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by onesweetypie, 23 August 2006 - 06:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#3 onesweetypie

onesweetypie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

I can't post a HijackThis Log because the computer won't turn on. As soon as windows loads, the popup comes up and the computer restarts and does the same thing over and over.
(I am on a different laptop.)

I cannot boot into Windows at all (safe mode, last known good configurations and etc). Sorry, I failed to mention that.

Edited by onesweetypie, 23 August 2006 - 06:51 PM.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#5 onesweetypie

onesweetypie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

I don't want to reformat. I already have discs for reformatting.

I want to know is there anyway around reformatting? I have data that I refuse to lose unless I must...

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:10 PM

I think I will let some one else explain what a repair-installation is.

#7 onesweetypie

onesweetypie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

Ahhh it's different. Sorry, I thought it was the same thing.

So I just read that and follow instructions and it should work?

#8 onesweetypie

onesweetypie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

How come I can't edit my post anymore?
Sorry for this double post but I forgot to mention a month later when I tried to turn on the computer it said something different.

Isass.exe-System Error
"When Trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct."

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

Hi onesweetypie,

Did you ever get this resolved? That last message tells me you have a corrupted registry. So there is a way around a reformat, but it is pretty complex and I doubt you are set up to be able to do it anyway. But if you want to try...

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting

For that procedure to work you must have a standard XP CD, NOT a Recovery Disk--which is what most folks that buy from a store like CompUSA have nowdays. That can be worked around if you have installed Recovery Console before the inability to boot into windows occured, but most people don't know that they can do that, and even if it is installed already, it may not work correctly.

Been there done that. My registry went corrupt and I had installed Recovery Console, but it wouldn't behave like it should have so I ended up reformatting. I think that would be your best bet.

Before I ran my recovery disks, I took the PC in to a shop where they put the hard drive into another computer and I was able to recover my important data. Not sure what the tech told you, but there are devices you can mount a hard drive on to recover your data. I would take it to the shop and let them do it--it's fairly costly but much less of a headache.

What brand of computer is it and can you tell me if your disks are recovery dislks or not?

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

Having followed this thread with great interest, I've gotta say something...

Isass.exe is probably a virus
Lsass.exe can be a virus or it can be a good file.

The vulnerability for this sort of virus was fixed with XP's Service Pack 2 - is your system updated to Service Pack 2?

Finally, if this is a virus - you've either gotta get it fixed or you've gotta format the hard drive to get rid of it. You can try other methods to get back in and save your stuff - but there's a chance that it'll be infected also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,615 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hi John,
Normally I would agree with you, but I believe that onesweetypie has mistaken the lower case "L" for an upper case "I". Which is easy to do and a common mistake.

If it were actually Isass.exe and a virus, I don't believe it would have come along with this error message indicating a corrupt registry.

System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

Nevertheless, if there are viruses hanging around on that system, a reformat will certainly get rid of them.

Something else that this brings out is that, when asking questions, in order for us to troubleshoot, it is very important to be very exact. Give any exact error messages received and exact spelling of file names, etc. Use copy and paste when possible; one little misspelling can make all the difference in the world.

The thing about people

is they change

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hi Papakid!

I believe that you are right - but was just trying to cover all the bases. If the system isn't SP2 patched then the lsass vulnerability is a real concern and the system could already be compromised!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 onesweetypie

onesweetypie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:40 PM

Hi Papkid,
No this is still not resolved, this is another laptop that I have. I wouldn't know if I have a standard XP CD. I have all the cds that came with it still...one of the CDs seem like it could be a standard XP CD, it says "hp notebook Operating System CD Microsoft ® Windows® XP Home SP1". Is that it?

I don't think I have a Recovery Console because I have no idea what that is nor did I know I could do that. I don't mind reformatting I would just like to retrieve data and programs although I've been told the programs are not retrievable. Is this true?

Is there a difference if it's a laptop or an actual computer? The tech told me I needed to remove the hard drive and use a USB attachment to retrieve data. I just bought a USB 2.0 IDE Adapter. I haven't tried it yet because I'm too much of a clutz to take out the hard drive myself, I'll leave that up to the Mr. to do when he gets a chance.

My laptop is a HP ZE5560us Notebook PC.
I wouldn't know if my system is updated to Service Pack 2. How would I of go about doing this? I always updated the Automatic Updates if that helps. I'm computer illiterate, sorry.

lso, I really don't know if it's an L or I since I can't boot into Windows. I'll be glad to take a screenshot when the popup comes up though. All I see is "lsass.exe", I guess it would be an L. After the popup comes up, the laptop restarts itself. I cannot log into windows at ALL. I wouldn't know how to makesure if its an L or an I. If you have any ideas, please let me know. :]

Edited by onesweetypie, 01 September 2006 - 04:42 PM.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:15 PM

"hp notebook Operating System CD Microsoft ® Windows® XP Home SP1" is a recovery disk which will reinstall the complete XP operating system and any other software on your computer that it originally came with.

You can salvage data (not programs) by hooking the hard drive to another computer as a slave drive, but carefully scan every file first before you open or move it. Programs, except those which csme preinstalled when the computer was new will have to be installed again.

It may well be worthwhile to use Restore, disconnecting the computer from the internet, disconnecting the printer and any other peripheral devices that didn't come installed inside the computer when it was new. (what you would leave connected would be the mouse, keyboard and monitor).

You will then have to again install an anti-virus program (AVG free is great), and reinstall all Windows Updates after SP1.

It should eliminate all malware and give you a fresh start (choose full restore if there is a choice).

After you reinstall XP go directly to AVG and install it, update its definitions files then reboot and go to Windows Updates and set it for automatic download and install and at a time when you know your computer will most likely be connected to the internet.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 September 2006 - 07:21 PM.

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,615 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

OK, those are recovery CD's so there is no way you can get your system back by following the instructions in the Miscrosoft article I linked you to. Which means you'll have to reformat.

Of course you'll have to recover your data first, because you'll lose whatever was on there when you run the recovery disks. And Enthusist is right, any program that you had to install for it to work will have to be reinstalled. Any programs you downloaded and/or updated from the internet you'll have to redownload, unless you saved the set up files somewhere that you can get to.

The registry being corupt is why you can't boot into or use Windows (not even to make a screenshot :thumbsup: ) The files are still there on your hard drive, but since the operating system (XP in your case) is shot, it can't read those files. So you have to connect your hard drive to another computer with a working operating system. A working operating system can read and manipulate those files. And BTW, it willl probably have to be a working XP or 2000 as 98 and earlier won't be able to read them.

Since you have a USB IDE adapter, you can take the hard drive from the affected laptop, plug it into the adapter, then plug the adapter into the USB port on the good system. It should appear as another drive on the System, with the letter, E: or F: or whatever depending on how many other drives like CD's you already have. Then copy the files you want to keep. If you have plenty of room on the hard drive of the good system, it would be quicker to copy to a temporary folder and later burn them to a CD to transfer over once the bad system has been reformatted. Or get a flash drive if you don't alreaqdy have one, it's easier to deal with than a CD--especially since your CD burning software is what messed you up in the first place. I haven't kept up with it but I've heard that Nero is buggy or something and is causing these type problems.

The Mr. may know all this already, but if he needs help let us know.

As far as the recovery/reformat, just follow Enthusiast's good advice. You don't want to be on the net without an antivirus installed and it is essential to get Windows fully updated as soon as possible. If you have a commercial AV on CD you can install that, or download AVG on your good system and transfer it over. I personally don't like automatic updates--I would go to Windows Updates (look in your START menu) and stay there until all of them are downloaded and installed. It would also be a good idea to order the SP2 CD to have on hand that can be used for all your XP computers when reformatting is necessary so you can get that bulky update done without being online. Free except for shipping and only takes a few days to arrive: Order here.

You'll also really need a firewall as soon as possible. Some good free ones here:

Kerio Personal Firewall
OutPost Firewall Free
ZoneAlarm
Sygate Personal Firewall

The thing about people

is they change

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users