Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual-booting Win7/WinXP, boot options not showing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kovyx

Kovyx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Hello, again, i'm a technician at an electronic repair shop. A customer wanted to have Windows 7 and Windows XP dual booting on their Acer Aspire 5253 laptop. Win7 was pre-installed on the device, and a co-worker managed to add WinXP alongside it before i was told about the project.
Problem is, there's no longer any boot options, aside from what's normally in the BIOS settings. There's no screen to select whether to boot Win7 or WinXP, and it just automatically boots in XP.

Things i've tried to fix that:

- Burned the program PLoP boot manager to a disc, and attempted installing it on the hard drive
- The program runs, but only from the disc, as there is no option to install it. Official website says it should install itself automatically, but it seems to not be doing that. It also doesn't allow me to save changes to settings in the program, though this may be due to it not being installed on the computer.
- Furthermore, the program doesn't see Win7 among the installed OS, only WinXP. I had thought this was maybe because my co-worker had accidentally installed XP over Win7.

- Next i burned the program EasyBCD 2.3 onto a disc, to try installing that on the hard drive
- This one would run in XP, but not during booting (like PLoP does). Didn't concern me, because it had more options that seemed useful
- Found i was wrong before when i thought XP had been installed over Win7, because this program sees Win7 among the installed OS.
- However, it shows them both named as Windows 7. It seems the boot loader doesn't know that the other installed OS is XP, and only sees it as another Win7, due to it not being able to find the boot loader for XP (even though it only boots XP).

I looked around the forums for anything to help about this, only found the topic labelled "dual boot win 7/win xp went wrong - computer doesn't boot" though the issue isn't precisely the same as this one, and it remains unresolved for the bit that i am looking for.
What information it did provide though, is that XP might've overwritten 7's boot option menu, meaning i might have to format the hard drive and start over. I'd really rather not do that though, as the computer has data on it that the customer wants to keep. So, anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

Boot a Windows 7 install disk. When you get to the screen with the Repair Computer link in the lower left click it and select Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts before Windows 7 completes the repair.

Edit: If three attempts do not fix the problem use this tool. Select Automatic Repair. Permission is required when using in a commercial environment.

https://www.boyans.net/dual-boot-repair-windows-10.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 October 2016 - 11:51 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

Fixing the Win 7 boot mechanism won't be effective, IMO, since XP was installed over Win 7.  What I mean is that you may be able to boot Win 7 but you won't be able to boot XP ...without using something akin to EasyBCD from the Win 7 install (once you can boot into  Win 7).

I could be wrong :).  I've never tried an out-of-sequence install of any Windows versions.

Louis

#4 Kovyx

Kovyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

Thanks John and Louis, i'll try a start up repair whenever the customer comes back in with their laptop. If that doesn't work, i don't think my manager would be up for asking BoYans for permission to use their program. I'll run it by him though.
If worse comes to worst, i'll have to ask the customer permission to backup their data on a separate device, so i can format the Acer's hard drive and start over to install the OS in the proper order.

Edited by Kovyx, 30 October 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,578 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

One other program you may want to try if Startup Repair does not work is Boot Repair. It requires an internet connection, at least it does when repairing a linux and XP dual boot computer. 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

Edit: If you need to pull the Windows 7 key you can copy the Software hive from C:\Windows\System32\config on the Windows 7 partition to a flash drive and use produkey to pull the key using it's offline method.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 October 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#6 Kovyx

Kovyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

Well, customer finally came back, and i've been working on it again. This time...

- I tried using the Windows 7 disc for the start up repair, and it worked well. Now it actually has the boot options, though it doesn't see Windows XP, still. It only sees two different partitions of Windows 7.

- I put in the Windows XP disc for start up repair and went into the Recovery Console, deleted the extra partition, but that hasn't removed it from the boot menu.

So, near the same problem as before. At least we have the boot menu now, but it still doesn't see Windows XP, though i'm certain it's still there.

Edit: Also it seems the Recovery Console doesn't recognize the administrator password on the one remaining partition. The only password on this PC at all is the supervisor password for the BIOS, which didn't work, but just leaving the field empty also doesn't work.

Edited by Kovyx, 16 November 2016 - 06:18 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,578 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

This program is not availabe for free when used commercially but perhaps you can give instructions to the client. Boot to Windows 7 and install EasyBCD and then add XP to the BCD menu under the Add entry menu.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Some more info here that may help. This is with XP installed after Windows 7 but shows how EasyBCD is used.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/dual-boot/windows-xp/installing-second/

This is how to do add XP to the BCD manually

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3164-63-windows-entry-windows-vista-boot-manager

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

Ditto, EasyBCD :).  It doesn't matter whether you install it in XP or Win 7...as long as it detects the Win 7 install, it will do the job.

Louis

#9 Kovyx

Kovyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Awesome, it worked. I called the customer and had them come in so i could guide them through using EasyBCD, and though it took a bit of working together, we got the dual-boot working. I noticed there were some drivers missing, like the Ethernet and Network were rather troubling to me, but the customer wasn't concerned about it.

Problem solved, thanks John!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,578 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

Your Welcome,

Glad the problem was sorted out and EasyBCD did the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users