Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless and ethernet adaptors drivers 'might not be working' - help!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

On my Lenovo X201 Tablet (which has been working fine for 2 years) firstly the wireless stopped connecting. With the ethernet OK I went to Device Manager (no !s)  and clicked the 'update (both) drivers' but there were up to date.

Then the ethernet stopped connecting too. I've been round and round the various diagnostic  problem  apps (including Lenovo's) and both are 'working OK'. The tabs on the adaptor properties show no problems. My router is working fine, 4 other devices use it daily.

Two local computer repair technicians can find no causes. Any ideas will be gratefully tried out - thanks.

Win 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

You didn't post what the two other techs did, so I will start my procedure this way:
> Open an elevated CMD and try to ping your router. Success or Failure?

> If you can ping your router, next try to ping Google.com. Success or Failure?

* If you cannot ping the router, the problem is in your computer (I know we already assume this, but now we know for sure).

* If you can ping the router, but cannot ping Google.com, the problem is in either the router or your ISP server. Odds are it will be your ISP.

Please do the above and post back with results. If you have any questions on the procedure post back.

Edited by ranchhand_, 30 October 2016 - 12:04 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for your response.

Couldn't tell what the technicians did as inspected in the back room and again on counter with its back to me - probabll what I have already done. One guy said he 'thought' it was a software not a hardware problem.

PING: transmit failed. General failure (4 of these

As my ISP and router are working fine on all other devices these can't be the problem so machine internal must be at fault as you said.

Any further procedures I can attempt?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

To rule out a hardware problem download a live linux distro and burn it to a DVD. Right click the iso file on any Windows 7 or later computer and select Burn Disk Image. Boot the disk and see if you can connect using Ethernet or Wireless. There have been many issues with internet connectivity and Windows 10 after updates.

I suggest Mint Cinnamon 18. You may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI settings and enable Legacy or CSM boot. For Lenovo there should be a boot menu accessed by tapping a key a boot that allows you to pick your boot device.

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=217

Edit: Rufus can be used with a USB flash drive and the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 October 2016 - 09:33 AM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

PING: transmit failed. General failure (4 of these

Do you mean that both the router ping AND the Google.com ping failed?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

ranchhand: As per your post " If you can ping your router, next try to ping Google.com."  I didn't try to ping the Google as the router ping failed.

JohnC_21: Oh dear - many many times I have tried  many Linux distros burning the ISOs and not a single one has been a success, not being recognised or just failing on two of my computers. This would be a very last resort for me as at the moment I am using the laptop offline to digitise many VHS tapes, 400+ so don't want to upset that system but thank you for your suggestion.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

Open an elevated command prompt. For Windows 10 press the Windows key + X. cmd as admin

Type the following

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot

Edit: If the above does not help download Windows Repair and only check the Network Repair box.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 October 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

After that there still no connection and running the troubleshooter, again, and running all the additional options, came up with the  'There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet (and Wi-Fi) adaptor.' as usual.  This result appears on each of the trouble shooting list - Internet Connections & Network Adaptor. Checking if Win Firewall is blocking doesn't indicate.

Except for those messages no other clues come up. It's all very odd.

So cannot download anything. 

Edited by zzzz, 31 October 2016 - 11:06 AM.

#9 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

Could you post the output from the command 

ipconfig /all

from the command lane?

Ideally if you could perform this whilst your laptop is plugged in to the router via an ethernet cable AND the wireless radio is switched on.

Edited by AnotherMindbomb, 31 October 2016 - 05:11 PM.

#10 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

Yes I'll do that but tomorrow - laptop working away on digital transfer now. Have to put the output on a SD card and then transfer that to my working computer.

Until then.....

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:37 AM

Job done:

Firstly  I forgot to plug in the ethernet cable so repeated the task but the results were the same:-

Host Name...............................: User-PC

Primary Dns Suffix...................:

Node Type...............................: Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled..................: No

WINS  Proxy   Enabled.............: No

That's it. Any info here?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

Download the Windows Repair Tool to a flash drive on another computer. Copy it to your computer and do the Network Repair.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

I assume that the internet switch for that tablet is turned on, correct?

At this point I can only think of reinstalling the NIC drivers; if you do not have them go on the Lenovo website and see if they have posted the latest drivers for that tablet. I don't think that will help but it's worth a try.

If JohnC's suggestion above does not work, it sounds like the NIC has failed.

If all else fails, you can use a wireless adapter. I have had good results with TP-Link. Just install the drivers, plug it in and you are connected.

#14 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 637 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

I've been trying to send this for several hours but the website seems to be down as it won't post - let's see if it works now....

Yes the wireless switch was on.

I cannot find a MS Windows Repair Tool only '10 Tools...'; 5 Tools...; 'Windows Fix', Free Windows Repair';  etc., etc. There is one, an 'Ad' headed 'Windows Repair Tool' but that is just a name - could be anything. These seem only to address updates,  reboot loop or corrupt windows files etc.

Can you give me a link to the one you advise? - thanks.

Good, it worked.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

I provided a link for the Windows Repair Tool in my post #7

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

You can download the exe installer or use the portable version. Only check Network Repair. None of the other items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users