Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't make a bootable pendrive (switching from Windows to Linux)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 FlowingLava

FlowingLava

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

I want to switch to Gentoo/Debian on Windows 7. I have been trying the whole day...

I have 8GB pendrive. I tried to make my pendrive bootable with UNetbootin, but it didn't work.
Also with Rufus and Universal USB Installer, using iso files from https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/ (amd 64)
When I set boot from USB option in BIOS, error occures in booting and windows starts or it's black screen with letters but nothing happens

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? Have you tried a different flash drive?

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hi, FlowingLava.

Question ( and this is as much to satisfy my own curiosity as anything else); why do you mention Debian and Gentoo as part of your move from Windows?

What have you heard about them? I'm guessing you must have some previous Linux experience; because Debian (very stable, and the basis for so many other distros) is not one I would recommend to a beginner. The installer isn't the most logical, to anyone coming from Windows, for a start...

And Gentoo, well.....it would make a fair number of seasoned Linux users blanch at the the thought of using it! Seriously. Although the process is apparently far more automated these days, it seems you still need to compile nearly everything you want to run yourself, from source code.....like in the early days, 25 years ago.

For beginners, Linux has moved on a long way. There are many distros out there that are so much simpler not only to use, but also to install. Two that spring to mind are Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. I don't use either myself, but we have a large group of enthusiastic users on here who will be more than happy to help you get up-and-running with either of them.

With either of these, a USB install is usually more along the lines of a LiveCD-type of experience, although it's possible to permanently save stuff by means of what is known as 'persistence'. 

Or, there's Puppy Linux. Which I use myself, and which from its inception more than 12 years ago, was designed to run, from a USB stick, as a full operating system.....from the word go.

There's many to choose from out there.....but your choices would not be mine for a beginner.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 October 2016 - 01:48 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

I started with Fedora, it's as good as Ubuntu and Mint... probably even better if I count in my experience with fedora. I can happily recommend Zorin to anyone who is looking to convert from Windows to Linux :)

My dad (who is a total Linux noob) uses Zorin 11, you might want to wait for Zorin 12 though, because:

1) It has LTS.

2) Zorin 11 has reached EOL (and is not available for download from the official site)

Zorin 12 is currently in Alpha Stage ;)

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Have you tried a different flash drive?

I'll second JohnC here, some Sandisk won't boot.  Also, the Model# of pc would be a big help.

Edited by pcpunk, 30 October 2016 - 07:31 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

Take a look at this also just in case

Has the OP's PC got UEFI? Its Windows 7.

FlowingLava

Have you got a CD/DVD drive in that PC?

PS

How did you format the USB? ext or fat 32?

Edited by NickAu, 30 October 2016 - 04:28 PM.
add PS

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

Yeah never make Gentoo or debian your first distro, especially gentoo.

Debian I can say can at least be installed mostly easily but it still takes some knowhow and some tweaking.

I would go Linux Mint or Ubuntu MATE over Gentoo anyday for a new user

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

I go with MadmanRB here, a more popular distro in Linux Mint is a far better choice than complicated distros for a beginner. :)

As to creating a bootable pendrive, download the distro of your choice, then use the popular Universal USB installer, which provides a log list of supported distros for support to create a bootable pen drive. For the longest time, until more recently started using Rufus to select UEFI or BIOS support, I used that app w/out any issues, it formats the pen drive to the proper one when the distro is selected from the list, then point it at the ISO for creation. 

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Check it out & see what it can do for your needs. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:04 AM

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your USB drive must be Fat16/Fat32/NTFS formatted, otherwise Syslinux will fail and your drive will NOT Boot.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:52 AM

That's the cool thing about UUI, it's selects the right type of format for the desired OS. :thumbup2:

Never once, until I began to run into more UEFI devices, did I run into issues with UUI, and some of this I believe were that USB 2.0 USB sticks were required for particular models of computers, while others would both with either. Note that there's a few USB sticks that aren't bootable at all, this will show in the specs, or by customer reviews. Some budget Kingston USB 2.0/3.0 sticks are bad about this, though not limited to that brand only. 

So if you run the UUI app & it's still unbootable, first check your UEFI or BIOS to ensure that the USB drive is at the top of the list, then optical drive, if installed. That way, it'll auto boot if capable. Most computers also has a hotkey to select boot device on Startup, it'll go by fast, just catch the (usually) 'F' key & jot it down, then the next time, be pressing that key when booting the computer. You USB stick should then show on the list. 

If by chance you have UEFI Firmware, then Rufus may be a better choice, because just below the label of USB stick, you have the option to select UEFI with GPT partition scheme, and the right format will be selected, all you have to do then is point it to the ISO & press Start. May take a few minutes to create, once done, Close will be an option. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Please keep us informed of progress. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 FlowingLava

FlowingLava
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

Hi, I have been using Ubuntu and Mint by turns for 2 years. I'd like to try Gentoo or Debian, especially Debian. So don't worry, it's not like my first linux experience.

I changed pendrive, but it still doesn't work. The same situation. I reboot from USB and I can see only "Verifying DMI Pool Data ...........". I have to turn off the computer then, because it doesn't do any action. It seems to work, to "think" about something, but nothing happens.

#12 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

You can get real-time support if you use IRC ;). There is an IRC channel for Debian.

#13 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

Hello, if you are windows right now try using PowerISO. and if you're not, try the following.

http://www.poweriso.com/

if on linux try using usb-imagewriter.

sudo apt install usb-imagewriter

or

https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/usb-imagewriter

i also agree with everyone else, about the format in which you are formatting the USB to. it should be FAT32

Edited by Viper_Security, 01 November 2016 - 03:51 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

If you have a CD drive try burning the ISO to that and see if it boots

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:52 PM

Hi, I have been using Ubuntu and Mint by turns for 2 years. I'd like to try Gentoo or Debian, especially Debian. So don't worry, it's not like my first linux experience.

I changed pendrive, but it still doesn't work. The same situation. I reboot from USB and I can see only "Verifying DMI Pool Data ...........". I have to turn off the computer then, because it doesn't do any action. It seems to work, to "think" about something, but nothing happens.

Well then the next logical step is debian pure.

Also do consider Manjaro linux

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users