i'm about to embark on upgrading from XP to Windows 7. Its been a long time coming! but this week was a turning point as daily i am getting browser freezes due to 2GB memory limit that XP has. I have 8GB installed but obviously not being used to its full potential. Also firefox seems the only mainstream browser that is now supported on XP.
I have downloaded Win 7 w/ SP1 ISO file and will burn that to DVD later today. also i have a update rollup Sept 2016 (Windows6.1-KB3185278-x64.msu). and a file Servicing Stack Update April 2015 (Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu). some questions:
1) do i need Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu to be installed before update rollup Sept 2016 (Windows6.1-KB3185278-x64.msu)? i read i do but just double checking..
2) My boot drive is an SSD (about 200GB). currently i have it partitioned as around 15GB and the rest as a data drive. I think Windows 7 needs 35GB+? does the Windows install process give an option to re-partition the drive? (obviously i remove/backup my data off it first before i run the setup DVD). If so any suggestions for C drive size? 40GB? i don't want to use all the 200GB as its better to keep data off the C drive in case Windows fails, it makes recovering data easier. data will be on a 160GB D: partition.
3) Once Windows 7 is installed and the above updates installed too, before running Windows Update should i install mobo drivers? i have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH. i have some drivers downloaded for Windows 7 already but have to check for any updates.
4) 64 bit Windows seems the way to go. Should i install 32 or 64 bit firefox? i think there is a 64 bit version now? will it use more than 4GB or is that the limit?
5) I don't have a license key at the moment. I will use 30 day trial and extend it if required. That should leave me with enough time to purchase a working key off ebay? any advice here? should a pay more and get one that comes with a COA cert delivered in the post?