Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single Sided vs. Double Sided

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

Alright, so this has caused some confusion about RAMS in my head. I've tried to google about it and I get all kind of different answers.

Some people claim that single sided and double sided represents the memory chips of a RAM printed on either one or both sides of the stick, while other people claim that single sided/double sided refers only to the group of RAMS or rank while it doesn't matter if the memory chips are on either one or both sides of the stick.

Really confusing since the name should suggest exactly what it says single or double sided. Any insight ?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

Hope this helps your understanding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIMM

#3 Thoth_Dhwty

Thoth_Dhwty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:56 AM

This is what I get from wiki

DIMMs are often referred to as "single-sided" or "double-sided" to describe whether the DRAM chips are located on one or both sides of the module's printed circuit board (PCB).

And this is what I get from other places

The "sided" reference has nothing to do with whether there are chips on either side of the stick. It's referring to the number of banks (either 1 or 2) and has nothing to do with chip placement. 

Single sided dimm

1. is a 64bit wide group of chips by definition
2. has 1 rank (1 rank is the 64bit group mentioned earlier)
3. can have chips on both sides of the stick

Double sided dimm
1. is a 128bit wide group of chips = 2 ranks 
2. can have chips just on 1 side of the dimm 

#4 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:39 AM

DIMMs are often referred to as "single-sided" or "double-sided" to describe whether the DRAM chips are located on one or both sides of the module's printed circuit board (PCB). However, these terms may cause confusion, as the physical layout of the chips does not necessarily relate to how they are logically organized or accessed.

JEDEC decided that the terms "dual-sided", "double-sided", or "dual-banked" were not correct when applied to registered DIMMs (RDIMMs).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users