Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Initial problem with back-ups

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raymondo44

Raymondo44

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

I have run into problems with the above. 

I need a pc genius to look at my attachments, outlining my problem

Please read. I also attach screen shots of my drives.

Here's hoping someone may be able to help?!!!

Acronis cloned drive on WIN7 SP1 inc., latest downloads (30/10/16)

I bought and installed a Samsung (850) 250GB and used the Samsung software to copy my system to it. This appeared successful and has been running for a year or so, apart from a new drive letter 'G' which appeared.

This seemed to be part of 'c' drive.

I also have a BD-ROM drive 'H' which I presumed is something to do with the Acronis software.

With the system running well, I formatted the previous  'C' drive - now 'D' (WD 500GB 3.5") drive and used it for storage. Everything running well apart from doing back-ups.

I have always had trouble trying to back-up my system to an Inatek usb external drive caddy with a 2.5" WD 500 hdd installed in it.  Doing a Windows back-up, it always reported some files not backed-up.

Being unable to make a backup of my system on the usb Inatek - WD 500GB 2.5" , I then decided to clone my 'C' drive (Samsung 250GB SSD) to the on board WD 500GB 3.5" drive (D). Wish I hadn't!!!

The Inatek/WD drive was not shown in Computer - Hard Disc Drives, only by looking  via Start-Right click Computer-Manage- Disc Management.

So, I began by cloning my 'C' drive to the next hdd 'D' (WD 500GB 3.5" on board) as a means of system back-up, using the Acronis software.

Having done this, I restarted and problems began.

I unplugged the 'D' drive WD500GB 3.5" and restarted.

It did not work.

So now I have to have all of the drives plugged in and starting is possible but slower than the usual SSD speed.

Question is - what can I do to rationalize this system and be able to make back-ups onto the usb Inatek/WD?

I probably need a genius to sort this out, so I'm hoping there is one in the community.!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2016 - 09:37 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:11 PM

Using Windows Disk Management, can you post a snapshot of your drives with the columns visible?  To the best of your knowledge, does your SSD hard-drive contain the fully working Windows, with all of the Windows folders and files?  We need to know what partitions are on what physical [internal and external] hard-drives; we need to know which partition is marked Active.  I wholeheartedly recommend you not clone C upon this and upon that; I did that once and ran into the same troubles you did; going forward, I recommend full images of System Reserved, OS/Windows partition, Data partition onto available and trusted external media [**].  After getting this computer booting only to the SSD, we will go from there.

[**] Later, going forward, we will probably have you format the extera OS clones out of existence, leaving you with a big Data HD and at least one full images backup/restore HD.  And, no more clones, my recommendation.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 November 2016 - 02:17 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:48 AM

Thank you for your reply. Before I start, I haven't found the attachments option on this page, how do I add them?

Anyway, I outline my current situation. I downloaded and installed EaseUs Partition Master 11.9 (paid for) and then uninstalled/installed the SSD into my old WinXP pc and wiped/formatted it before returning to my current pc.

Having done this, I can now boot straight in Win7 although it seems so slow compared to the SSD, which I presume is normal!

So having done this, I now want to transfer the current 'C' drive (WD 500GB) to the SSD and then wipe/format the WD, so that it can be used for storage again.

Is this the correct thing to do? Obviously I don't want to end up with the same situation, ie., 2 drives competing for the boot-up.

If you can tell me how to send the screenshots, I will do this.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

I'm at school, very sporadically in and out here;  I don't know how to do screenshots.  You can either full image or clone your current 'C' drive (WD 500GB) to the SSD.  There has been a few posts throughout BC concerning not being able to boot a cloned OS.  If you later encounter that problem, naturally, there are others here who can walk you through a solution.  Remember, only one HD containing an OS should be connected during a post / boot / startup.

Edited by RolandJS, 03 November 2016 - 09:17 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users