Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD readable but has issue with transferring files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hello,

I have an extra hard disk 500GB I found unused so I bought an enclosure for it to make it like external hard drive.

The issue is, when plug it to computer and try to transfer files around 200MB  it starts with decent speed then slows down to about 1 hour or less.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

Do a diagnostic on the hard drive with Seatools for Windows. Run the short and long tests.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

If the drive is WD the use the WD diagnostic software.

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940

Edit: It may also be the USB port or the enclosure itself. Is the drive slow on another computer transferring the same files?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#3 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:51 PM

Yes tried different computer and different connection but the enclosure comes with USB 3.0 connection. I will run test on and let know.

#4 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

The SeaTool test failed for all tests and now i am running generic short test it's taking long time

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:40 AM

I would have to hazard a guess the drive is bad or it's the bridge card in the enclosure. You could verify this if you have space available to attach the drive internally and running the test again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users