Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing the clocks !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:06 PM

It's that night of the year again when the clocks change right across Europe, and probably in other countries as well.

Why do we inflict this annoyance on ourselves twice a year ?  I know it was introduced as an energy saving system during WW1 but that was a long time ago !

I don't mind changing watches even if my wife has three or four of them; every computer in the house changes itself (normally); the digital video recorder changes itself; and I never bother with the cooker and microwave clocks - I only use them as timers.

But !  I have a digital alarm clock and we have a digital heating thermostat and control unit which is wireless linked to the boiler and changing both of these means opening the manual (on a hard drive) and digging in to it. And neither could be called intuitive !  It is a real PITA !

It makes no difference to the amount of daylight we get. At the moment, in central Scotland we are getting just under 8 1/2 hours of daylight (sunrise to sunset), come the end of December at the Winter solstice it isn't even 8 hours. Calling sunrise at 0817 (Saturday) or 0718 (Sunday) makes no difference to the amount of light and I don't think the Sun cares !

Ah well, now I have that off my chest it's time to log-out and go and find those manuals.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

I love daylight saving time.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

ditto

...although I do sympathize with mums trying to get little kids to sleep when it is still broad daylight !

....I also sympathize with Chris !...is there any possibility that the process could be automated..??....surely some of the bright sparks here could devise some way of making the rotten thing change time at the appropriate time of year...??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 441 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 02:29 AM

During the war (ww2) we had, in Britain, double British Summer Time. This was 2 hours. As a small boy, it was terrible going to bed in, what seemed to me, the middle of the day.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:15 PM

The changes in the dates of changing from one to the other seems to have no effect.  There only so many minutes of daylight each day, decreasing until Dec. 22 when it reverses.  Power generation still operates to the same schedule just shifted.  Not many are up to the challenge of a one day adjustment period. 

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

And just to add to the inconvenience it can be dangerous !

One of my neighbours is now in hospital with a broken hip due to changing the clocks. She climbed onto a chair to reach a wall mounted clock, came off the chair awkwardly, tripped over one of her dogs and fell hard. She couldn't move or reach a phone and it was three hours before her husband came home from work to find her key on the inside of the door keeping it locked. He called the ambulance service who then called out the fire service to take the door down.

An extreme case perhaps . . .

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 Sam00

Sam00

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:22 AM

I think too that changing the clocks is totally unnecessary and cause more problems than good.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:23 PM

I love daylight saving time.

Same here. Wish it'd be permanently Daylight Saving Time.

Yesterday, we had to turn back our clocks as DST ended sometime early this morning (in the US). That means the sun sets one hour earlier. :( Which is pretty awful, especially when it's cold...

Edited by bwv848, 06 November 2016 - 11:25 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:29 AM

Getting a triple whammy,  five day trip by train to Colorado from central Calif and then three day trip by bus to Dallas from Cal.  Now the clock change.  Internal clock so messed up I don't know when to sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users