Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Algorithm HELP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 billbates

billbates

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hey guys,
Im stuck on this algorithm or problem for which I have to come up with a solution and create psuedocode for this. Any help would be appreciated. 
"The Big British Brass Barrel Consortium (BBBBC) has a lot of barrels (made of brass). Every day they receive a large set of orders from other companies for their barrelling needs. Each company will send them a list of different fluids that they have, for which they need barrels to transport the fluids. The various amounts of fluids will be specified in terms of their volume in cubic metres. The BBBBC have a large stock of barrels and they store the height and diameter of their barrels in a database. Every day they need to work out if they have enough barrels in stock to fulfil the orders. If they don’t then they need to compile a list of the number and capacity of barrels that they’ll need to borrow from their competitors. Propose a solution to solve this problem." 
Thats what I got to DO!
Also, Private messages would be appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2016 - 08:18 PM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Programming - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

first of all - welcome to BC !  However,

From the forum rules -

All help must be provided in the forums or on our IRC Chat channel. We do not allow support to be provided or requested via personal message, email, or remote desktop control programs (Logmein, TeamViewer, etc).

If this is a homework exercise are you not better cracking the books and trying to solve it your self ?

Just a tip - create a field to convert H x D  into capacity in m3

Chris Cosgrove

#3 gxnpt

gxnpt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:43 PM

Barrels that I have seen are normally are wider in the middle than at top and bottom - but assuming a consistent shape the easy way is to get the capacity of a barrel and see how that amount varies from the HxD amount (as a multiplier) and use that along with the HxD number.

#4 billbates

billbates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

From the forum rules -

All help must be provided in the forums or on our IRC Chat channel. We do not allow support to be provided or requested via personal message, email, or remote desktop control programs (Logmein, TeamViewer, etc).

If this is a homework exercise are you not better cracking the books and trying to solve it your self ?

Chris Cosgrove

Barrels that I have seen are normally are wider in the middle than at top and bottom - but assuming a consistent shape the easy way is to get the capacity of a barrel and see how that amount varies from the HxD amount (as a multiplier) and use that along with the HxD number.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. yes it is a homework task but I tired and I have to write the solution to the problem in pseudocode or a flowchart. 

Also, I came upon another problem which is that what if there is an order that requires a barrel that has a capacity higher than the company can provide. Does that mean that they have to purchase it from their competitors?

#5 billbates

billbates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

From the forum rules -

Chris Cosgrov

Sorry about that I didnt know.  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users