I've been using a USB headset for the past 3 months. It's a Sades SA-902 model headset. 2 days ago, I went to use it on my primary desktop, and the microphone part of it wouldn't work. It registers in the recording section of the control panel, but it won't pick up audio, save for some static. The headphone part still works, and I've tested the headset on another computer and it still works. No one I know has even heard of the problem happening, so I've come here for help.
Before that, the power was accidentally cut to the computer when some electrical work was being done on a different circuit in the house. My theory is this has something to do with the problem, but it's pure speculation on my part.
I'm using a custom built PC using Windows 7 Ultimate
No one I know has even heard of such a problem, and no existing forum post I've searched for has the answers, so I've come here for help.
Thing's I've tried so far:
- Uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers related to USB or sound processing
- Checking sound and the USB microphone settings from the control panel
- System restore to a day before the power was cut to the computer
- Plugging the headset into a different USB port
- Performing a hard reset on the computer
Edited by RacerBiscuit, 29 October 2016 - 12:51 PM.