Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This A Good Price?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aficat

Aficat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

Hey all. Sorry if this isn't the right category, I wasn't sure which forum would be a good place for this question.

I'm going back to school at the beginning of September, and I need to have my own computer this time around. I'm thinking about a laptop. I do a lot of things with web design and photo manipulation, drive my hard drive crazy by saving...everything, like rpg/sandbox games, and would mainly be using the internet and applications related to school. I need a laptop because I get stuck places for hours on end (no car :thumbsup:) and will finally be able to do something useful while I'm there if I have a laptop and wireless connection.

The computer I'm looking at is a "HP Pavilion dv5220us Notebook" at CompUSA. It has a 15.4" widescreen, Intel Core Duo T2050 1.6GHz, Windows XP Media Center, 1 GB DDR2-SDRAM, 120 GB Hard drive, and a Lightscribe DVD+RW Drive. It's usually $1049.99, currently advertised until Saturday at $849.99 after $200 in rebates, and I have $155 coupon to spend at CompUSA, making it $694.99. Is this a good deal? A good computer? There's a dv5234 model as well, same specs but an Intel T2300E 1.66 GHz, 1.5 GB DDR2-SDRAM, and XP Professional, for 1049.99 after rebates. Would this be worth the extra $$$? I want a laptop that will last me a few years. I was also thinking about the $1k Toshiba convertable tablet PC they had there (thinking: free wacom tablet yay!) but the demo I saw didn't impress me that much. Anyone have experience with these?

Does a TV tuner mean you can watch TV channels on your computer? Are there any questions I should be asking to make sure the wireless internet is compatable with my schools? What parts can be upgraded later and which parts are you really paying for?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:48 PM

I personally haven't even seen the windows media center in action so I cannot comment on whether or not it will do you good... but the first one seems like a decent price for the specs you listed. Is there mention of how many cells the battery is?

#3 Aficat

Aficat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

HP's website for the dv5220us.

The website says it's a 6 cell battery. Do the cells make a difference? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to laptops. The last one I touched weighed about 20 lbs :thumbsup:.

Edit: Of what I saw of the media center, it was just a fancy graphic interface so you don't need to click on folders. I didn't really care :huh:.

Edited by Aficat, 23 August 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:09 AM

If you're going for a laptop, get a desktop replacement. They come close to desktop power but are heavier than a standard laptop. In addition to this, you can fill them with better parts which means you won't need to upgrade or get a new computer as quickly. There are 8 and 12 cell batteries that give the user longer battery life, but I don't know if this model supports them. Personally, I don't like Windows Media Center. My roommate my freshman year in college had an HP computer with it installed and all it did well was crash and freeze. It did have a nice DVR function though but that requires a very large hard drive and was difficult to program as the University has a special TV lineup and the computer would record the wrong channel because of this. I'm not sure if you dorm or anything but keep in mind some campus networks require the use of XP Pro before allowing users to access the network. Mine has ever since I've been there and I'm going on year four.

Edited by DJBPace07, 24 August 2006 - 03:12 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users