Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Legal remote control programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

My question here is about LEGAL remote control programs like TeamViewer. Can such program remain hidden and active for many months without any notice? I know that once you restart/shut down your desktop/laptop the remote connection with TeamViewer is terminated and you have to set it all over again, is it the same with other remote control programs that you are aware of. 
Basically, if someone is completely tech uneducated, can someone remotely access his machine for many months without the user notice anything at all, even if he regulary shuts down/restarts his machine. Again i am talking only about legal programs, not malware :)

Thanks, i hope you understand what exactly i am asking :)))

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

It's legal... totally!

And in countries like Thailand, even a RAT (Remote Access Trojan) is legal too!

#3 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

Haha, another cat around, nice to meet you! :) I knew the answer would sound stupid :) By legal i mean those that you can download free from licensed web pages, similar to TeamViewer, and once they are installed and set, if they can silently work without any notice even after you reinstall :) Will they appear on the taskbar and so on :)

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

Yes, "legal" programs can do all that, just like "illegal" programs. For Windows, technically there is no difference between a "legal" and "illegal" program.

A lot of spying programs are legal in many countries: it's legal to make them and to sell them.

What is illegal in many programs is using these programs on systems without authorization of the owners/users of said systems.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

Ok. but what i mean is the popular ones, that are used around the civilized world (like team viewer), and are considered legit along Europe, States and Australia(that normal folks have access to) Are they not programmed to alarm the user (pop up or something), when he restarts his machine for example. If the program works hidden in the background, will it not become target to the antivurs/antimalware programs?

Edited by resertedlab, 29 October 2016 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users