Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brother Scanner software for Mint 18

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:02 AM

Greets.

Still humming along with my Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) set up and things are going well.

Only thing I can't get going is the Scanner feature on my Brother Printer / Scanner HL-L2380DW.

Printing works without any issues but I can not figure out how to get the Scanner software installed either properly or tweaked in a way that will make it work.

I don't know if it matters but I'm running this on a HP Desktop with an AMD A6 processor.

I started here, downloaded the brscan4-0.4.4-1 amd64 deb file and installed it with the GDebi package installer.

Once that is completed, I have two options: 

• Simple Scan 

• Xsane Image scanning program.

Once I select Simple Scan start, I get a "Unable to connect to Scanner" message and two options: Close or Change Scanner, if I select Change Scanner, the dialogue box that comes up shows the Brother HL-L2380DW but no other option in the drop down.

If I try the Xsane Image scanning program, the pop up box shows, "scanning for devices" and after 10-15 seconds, I received a pop-up box that reads, "Failed to open device 'brother4:bus7;dev1': Invalid argument" and my only option there is to Close the window.

I've trolled the Linux Mint Forums - I'm not a member there - and found several rather confusing methods to employ but I can't really make sense of any of them.

I've also tried selecting the Scan feature from the Scanner itself and all I get is a "connecting to printer" message for a while and then....nothing.

Ideas, thoughts, coffee?

TIA,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

Mint 18 changed the location of the libraries. See point g in the below link. I would not do any terminal commands until confirmed by a BC advisor. You can verify if the driver for the scanner is in /usr/lib64 though.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

JohnC_21 - some day I'm going to buy you a drink! 

Thanks for the quick response and the link.

I made plans to wait until I heard from an Advisor and when I went to bookmark the page, it showed (my browser did) that I'd already been to this page (and previously bookmarked it).

I looked over Point G and thought, "yeah, I'll just wait until someone else comes along and clears me to run these..."

But because I'd previously bookmarked the page, I also thought that I'd probably already tried some variant of these instructions...maybe.

So I read ahead, saw the notes just past Point J that indicated I should try to run Simple Scan as sudo...so I did and *viola!* it worked!   :bounce:

I'm going to log off & restart my machine, just to make sure it still works after that & will post when I can confirm that it (Simple Scan) still works.

I'm not entirely sure what I've done between bookmarking that page and today, but I sure am glad it's working.

Winterland

#4 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Well, rats!

That didn't work out the way I planned.  :lol:

Quick restart and still no love from Simple Scan. If I launch it from my Menu and press Scan, I get the "Unable to connect to Scanner" message.

However, if I run the gksudo simple-scan command from Terminal, it works like a charm.

Guess I will wait to hear from an Advisor and see if I should run those commands from the Point G section of the link you posted.

But you still gave me a relatively easy work around, so thank you, thank you.

Winterland

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,037 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:59 PM

Guess I will wait to hear from an Advisor and see if I should run those commands from the Point G section of the link you posted.

By the sounds of it, you may not have to run the first three lines, as the scanner has worked. I would however try adding yourself to the scanner group as the guide mentions:
sudo usermod -a -G scanner yourusername
(swap "yourusername" for your user name)

Then log out and back in or reboot your computer and see if the scanner works as expected.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

@Winterland:-

If Brothers work like Epsons, then upon receiving the 'Unable to connect to scanner' message (which I get, too, sometimes!), close Simple Scan; power-down the Brother, then turn it back on; then start Simple Scan again. You may find you get the program starting as it should...

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 October 2016 - 01:08 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

Bad Post

Edited by pcpunk, 29 October 2016 - 04:44 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

If Brothers work like Epsons, then upon receiving the 'Unable to connect to scanner' message (which I get, too, sometimes!), 

I get those sometimes because "sane" has not been installed.  Sane is a prerequisite to the scanner drivers.  It may not work until scanner drivers are uninstalled...reboot...install sane...reboot...install scanner drivers again.  But you could try just installing sane, reboot and try scanner again. 

sudo apt-get install sane

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

By the sounds of it, you may not have to run the first three lines, as the scanner has worked. I would however try adding yourself to the scanner group as the guide mentions:
sudo usermod -a -G scanner yourusername
(swap "yourusername" for your user name)

Then log out and back in or reboot your computer and see if the scanner works as expected.

Tried this but still no luck, even after a reboot. I also went ahead and ran those other three lines, rebooted & still no go.

If Brothers work like Epsons, then upon receiving the 'Unable to connect to scanner' message (which I get, too, sometimes!), close Simple Scan; power-down the Brother, then turn it back on; then start Simple Scan again. You may find you get the program starting as it should...

Tried this as well, and nope, it didn't work.

If Brothers work like Epsons, then upon receiving the 'Unable to connect to scanner' message (which I get, too, sometimes!), 

I get those sometimes because "sane" has not been installed.  Sane is a prerequisite to the scanner drivers.  It may not work until scanner drivers are uninstalled...reboot...install sane...reboot...install scanner drivers again.  But you could try just installing sane, reboot and try scanner again. 

I have not yet tried this method but will do so after some more coffee. Will post again in a couple of hours.

Big big big thanks to everyone who has been checking in and offering tips, links & suggestions.

Winterland

#10 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

I have not yet tried this method but will do so after some more coffee. Will post again in a couple of hours.

Big big big thanks to everyone who has been checking in and offering tips, links & suggestions.

Winterland

Sorry for the delay, things at work have been hectic.

I tried this latest suggestion, uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting (just to cover my base) and still no-go.   :scratchhead: .

On the plus side, the gksudo simple-scan command still works, so I've got a clunky work around but a work around none the less.

I'll keep trolling the Linux Mint boards to see if anyone else comes up with a resolve and if/when I find one, I'll post it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Winterland

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

I see now that these drivers take a little more to install than I thought.  If you ever want to give it another try on your own there is a Driver Install Tool that you could try instead of the Individual Drivers.  Like in the event you need to do a Re-Install etc.  For now I think your better off sticking with what you have. (link below).  

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2380dw_us_as&os=128

Once you Click the Download It will require that you follow the directions you see there.  You can only see these directions AFTER clicking on the download.  You will find the same for the Individual Printer and Scanner Drivers that you are working with now.  There is also a page that explains all Dependencies that need to be met.  It's all a bit confusing(or very confusing) but the info is all there.  I'm just providing the links in case your interested, I've not done it with a Brother Printer yet.

The Dependencies are found under "Notes before downloading" then "Before Installation"

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2380dw_us_as&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625

Edited by pcpunk, 12 November 2016 - 11:56 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

Winterland,

I had the same problem with my Epson printer...didn't support Linux.  As a beginner in Linux it drove me nuts trying to solve this problem...no driver to download to make the bloody thing work and I wasn't going to buy a new printer either.

So I installed Vituralbox...then my Win 7 OS.  I then installed my printer and it works fine and my scanner too...the only thing you have to do is add your name to the vbox user group.

To do this...open a terminal and type   sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers  "your user name"  hit enter...enter password...hit enter and when finished shutdown both host and guest and restart.  I created a share folder so when I want a document printed I place it in the share folder and it's there or use a flash drive for transfer.

My vitural machine is not connected to the net...so I don't need anti-virus software...updates or Microsuck either and you can run software that only runs in windows too.  Anyway this works for me...I hope this helps.

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

I've just been thinking. (Hard with only a bit of functional grey slop, these days, but there ya go..!  :P )

If the 'gksudo simple-scan' command works from the terminal, why not write a very small bash script, place it in your ~/home folder, then send it to the desktop.....so you have a single-click 'launcher' where it's easily accessible?

Something like (and remember, I haven't used Mint for a couple of years....I'm far more used to Puppy, so this might need modifying) this:-

#!/bin/sh

gksudo simple-scan

That's all it would take; just need to make sure it's executable (again, I forget how you do this in Mint.....others will be able to chip in & help). Then, right-click (i believe) and select 'Send to....desktop' (I think). Clicking on the desktop representation of this would then automatically link to this, and execute it for you.

What d'you think? It's just an idea, as I said, but it demonstrates once again how you can invent 'workarounds' for so many things in Linux with scripts.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 13 November 2016 - 10:14 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:19 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the continued support.   :thumbsup2:

I'm taking the wife (Mrs. Smartypants) down to the Sunshine State for Thanksgiving so I won't be able to try these additional suggestions until I get back, but wanted to let you know that when I'm giving thanks, you guys, as well as Bleeping Computer, will be on the list.

Once I'm back from stuffin' myself with turkey, putting my feet in the bay and, perhaps, tipping a few, I'll let you know if these suggestions worked.

If it applies - never sure with an International crowd like this one - Happy Thanksgiving!   

Winterland

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

Worse comes to worst you can get a standalone scanner.

HP hardware is known to be the best for linux use, say what you want about HP but they have fantastic linux support.

The only other company that comes close is Lexmark, after that Cannon and last Epison and Brother

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users