Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Check Gpu Temps?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

I just bought my X700 Pro ( I know, I just needed somethign better then a Xpress 200, and wasn't to power hungry )

I'd just like ot check my GPU temps to see how much I can overclock it. I was surpised it worked pretty fine with my 300Watt Bestec. But I'm prepared t obuy a Antec/Enermax PS if it dies.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:09 PM

try everest i cant remember the link just google it
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

I know ATI's Catalyst drivers have a temp readout in the screen where you unlock the overclock settings, I think it's under the ATI Overdrive part in the Catalyst Control Center while in the advanced view. The temp will always be displayed regardless of whether or not you OC your card. There may be other way to view GPU temps, but this is what I use.

3939.png

#4 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

I'm waiting to use ATi Tool ot overclock it a little. But I'd really want to monitor the GPU temps while I'm doing it.

I have Everest, it shows the specs and GPU frequency, not the temps. And when I go to check the sensor in the section that show the temps of my CPU, Motherboard and Hard drive, it doesn't show my GPU temps anywhere?

Edited by protozero, 23 August 2006 - 10:55 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

The Catalyst Control Center, which is bundled with ATI's Catalyst Driver Package, allows you to monitor the frequency, memory, and temps at the same time. I tried using Everest but it says my card is not supported, I have an ATI Radeon X1900XT.

3939.png

#6 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:11 PM

Hrrrmmm, I updated Catalyat to 6.8, but I see no "ATi Overdrive" or anything close to it?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:57 PM

Ok, there should be an ATI logo on the taskbar, double click on it. Or, you can click on Catalyst Control Center in the Start menu. If it's your first time using the 6.8 version, it will ask for view. Choose "advanced view" and then you should see ATI Overdrive at the bottom of the list. If it doesn't, there's an option to change the view to advanced on the bottom of the basic view.

Edited by DJBPace07, 23 August 2006 - 11:59 PM.

3939.png

#8 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

You sure it isn't just yours. I can't find any feature anywhere for "ATi Overdrive". Perhaps it's a 1k series only feature?

But I'm not to sure I want to overclock it anymore after the break in I just gave it with Oblivion. It's a little louder then expected, and has risen my CPU/Motherboard Temp from a max of 39C, to 42C.

But none the less. I'm happy with it capable of playing CS:S and Half-Life 2 with max Resoltuion and visual eye candy. Bought it more as a temp card untill Christmas. :D

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:33 AM

Perhaps the Overdrive option is limited to the 1K series, I thought the settings were universal on all ATI cards. Maybe ATI doesn't want it's older cards OC'd for whatever reason and locked out that option. Those aren't bad temps at all for a mobo. I have the Asus A8N32-SLI board with the Athlon 64 X2 4600 and mine stays in the low 40's. My graphics card, on the other hand, can reach 70C but that's only after playing Oblivion for hours. If you're going to get a new card during the holidays, you may also want to get a better power supply. I read your profile and saw that you have a Compaq. You may want to check to see if they allow upgrades using standard off-the-shelf equipment. I know some of the computers at Dell use proprietary power supplies that make upgrading a little difficult. Cards are getting loud these days, mine is really loud (think vacuum cleaner) but I have seen some liquid cooled cards that perform very well...silently.

I've included a link to a screenshot of the ATI Overdrive, in case you overlooked something: LINK.

3939.png

#10 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Well Avivo is a 1K series option, and my Catalyst is the same except for the Avivo and "ATi Overdrive" section.

I know my power supply isn't the best, but looking at it, it has 19 Amps on the 12V rail, and a 68% efficently and my computer runs pretty cool, use to be 34-35 (Now,36 idle, web surfing,ect) on idle for the Motherboad/CPU, and 37-38 for the HD.

I'll check if my computer will allow a standerd off the shelf power supply. I was planing on getting a new one with a new video card around the holidays anyways. Thinking about something like a X1800 GTO or whatever's around 250$ CDN.

But I'm pretty happy for now with the X700. Ran Half-Life 2 in 1280x1024,Anti-Ax6,Anistrphic filteringx16 with a good playable framerate around 40-50.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

When it comes to FPS games personally, I go for 50+ frames because they require fast reflexes to the game. I'm able to get very good framerates with Oblivion with most of the options turned on. I've found that for whatever reason HDR and anti-aliasing cannot be on at the same time so I use bloom with the highest AA possible. If you're happy with the X700, save your cash and wait for the cards that support DirectX 10. Here's a link to a page that has a small amount of info on ATI's R600 line: link

3939.png

#12 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:10 AM

Uhmmmm, that linked scared me.

I hope they have a low end, mid range and high end versions like they did for the 1k series and previous series.

I thought the new GDDR4 memory was sopposed to be more "power efficent" Wiki better be wrong about those cards sucking up 130-300 Watts, that's rediculous.

And if they're running at 1Ghz with only a 80nm process design, I can't bare to think about the ceiling fan connected to the end of it.

Oh, and most games like Fear and Oblivion automaticly disable Anti-A when you go in HDR, even though the achitecture of the 1k series can support it.

Edited by protozero, 25 August 2006 - 01:12 AM.

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:38 AM

Sometimes the lower end cards don't have a temperature sensor just to save a few bucks.

The x700 pro only eats about 30W so you shouldn't run into any problems.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users