Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AIO upgrading

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:19 AM

My friend wants to get an AIO due to space issues. What can be upgraded on an AIO down the road? It will just be a email machine basically, so I don't anticipate any upgrading of video concerns, but will the RAM be upgradable?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

RAM is tied to the motherboard.

RAM modules can only be entered into RAM slots on the motherboard.

What manufacturer and model system...are you referring to?

Louis

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:47 PM

I don't know what she will wind up buying yet. I was just wondering if anything can be upgraded later.

Louis, your question indicates to me that RAM upgrades may be manufacturer specific? As in some makers you CAN upgrade RAM, but on some you can't?

Thanks for your reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

RAM upgrades are motherboard specific.  Generally, a motherboard supports up to a certain level/type of RAM and a certain amount of RAM.  The documentation for these things is set by the motherboard manufacturer.

I don't know much about AIOs, but I would not expect them to be upgradeable, generally speaking.  In my mind, they are akin to owning a laptops, systems with little built-in opportunity for changing much of anything.  I could be wrong...I'd have to see the system specs to know.

Worth A Look

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users