Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows User Permissions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kuszotke

Kuszotke

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hey. 

I got a new PC a while ago and i think the permissions are messed up. Sometimes i get "you don't have enough permissions to uninstall this software. contact the systems administrator" thingies, etc.

Is there any way i can "reset" permissions and then give myself all the admin rights?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

What version of Windows 7 is it? Home Premium? Professional? Enterprise?

Was Windows already installed when you got it? Is your user account an administrator?

#3 Kuszotke

Kuszotke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

What version of Windows 7 is it? Home Premium? Professional? Enterprise?

Was Windows already installed when you got it? Is your user account an administrator?

Got it built brand new from a shop, parts picked by myself, so the OS was installed during assembly. Home Premium.

My user acc is administrator.

Edited by Kuszotke, 29 October 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:10 PM

Welcome to the convoluted maze of Windows permissions.

I occasionally have a unit come in that has problems similar to yours. Rather than spend hours trying to figure out what in blazes is mis-configured in permissions, I use a little utility called Take Ownership.

It installs in 1 second and puts an entry in the shell. Just Right click on your problem file or folder, select Take Ownership and it is instant. So far has worked for me. There is also a removal utility that comes with it and will delete it if you decide to.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

Scroll down to the section on how to take ownership of files and folders in Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670

#6 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:19 PM

Scroll down to the section on how to take ownership of files and folders in Windows 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-

The URL says

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Support for Windows XP has ended

us/kb/2623670

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:53 AM

He needs to scroll down to the section(s) that are for Windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users