Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and USB ports randomly stop working

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mod21

mod21

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:14 AM

Hello.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y700, and recently it's been causing problems. About once or twice a day, my laptop's keyboard and USB ports just stop responding. In addition, if I try to plug something in the USB 

ports (a USB keyboard, for example) it simply won't work, BUT devices that were plugged in before this "crash" will work (for example, the mouse - however, it doesn't work if I unplug it and then plug it back in). 

This problem started around the last time Windows has updated, about 10-12 days ago.  

This has only occurred to me while playing games, but seeing as that what I do almost all of the time on my laptop, I'm not sure it has anything to do with it. 

Once this happens, one of these two scenarios occur:

If I try to restart the computer through the 'start' menu, it takes a very long time to restart, and eventually doesn't actually boot, but shows me a little menu from which I can choose to normal boot, go to

BIOS menu, and some other options I don't remember. However, the laptop's keyboard still doesn't work, but the external USB keyboard does. If I try to boot normally through this menu, the PC loads for a long

time, and I'm not sure it actually ever turns on because I then turn it off manually.

Second option is when I force the PC off by holding the power button and turn it back on. In this case, once the computer turns on, everything works properly. 

In addition, last time this has happened, I managed to open the on-screen keyboard, but it also didn't work - it simply didn't type anything. 

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard's drivers and checked for viruses/malware. 

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.60GHz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors

16 GB of RAM

I hope I included everything relevant... 

Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

Press the Windows key and the X key together, in the menu that opens select Device Manager.

Navigate down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and remove the check mark from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mod21

mod21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Will do. Thanks a lot!

#4 mod21

mod21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

Press the Windows key and the X key together, in the menu that opens select Device Manager.

Navigate down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and remove the check mark from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Well, it didn't help. Just happened again. Thanks though. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

When you went to the Universal Serial Bus controllers were there any yellow warning icons or red error icon shown?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mod21

mod21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

When you went to the Universal Serial Bus controllers were there any yellow warning icons or red error icon shown?

Nope, none. 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:52 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy and paste it in your topic.

#8 mod21

mod21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:41 PM

PSU:

If I understood correctly from what I read, the PSU is whatever's written under "OUTPUT" on my charger, and that would be: 20V X 6.75A = 135W (I guess)

Speccy Link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aJhe3cBfSmMAc6PYnVF31AH

MiniToolBox Info:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 17-06-2016
Ran by tadmo (administrator) on 31-10-2016 at 23:28:08
Running from "C:\Users\tadmo\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  (X64)
Model: 80NV Manufacturer: LENOVO
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (10/31/2016 11:26:59 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )
Description: Activation context generation failed for "Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"1".Error in manifest or policy file "Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"2" on line Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"3.
Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested.
Reference is Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8".
Definition is Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1".
Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Error: (10/31/2016 11:26:40 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )
Description: Activation context generation failed for "UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0"1".Error in manifest or policy file "UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0"2" on line UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0"3.
Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested.
Reference is UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0".
Definition is UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0".

Error: (10/30/2016 10:52:41 PM) (Source: SideBySide) (User: )
Description: Activation context generation failed for "UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0"1".Error in manifest or policy file "UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0"2" on line UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0"3.
Reference is UccApi,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0".
Definition is UccApi,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="16.0.0.0".

Error: (10/30/2016 10:47:17 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.

Error: (10/30/2016 10:47:08 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.

Error: (10/28/2016 04:45:43 PM) (Source: Application Error) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: CCSDK.exe, version: 1.2.0.13, time stamp: 0x55b832e6
Faulting module name: CCSDK.exe, version: 1.2.0.13, time stamp: 0x55b832e6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00013809
Faulting process id: 0x1684
Faulting application start time: 0xCCSDK.exe0
Faulting application path: CCSDK.exe1
Faulting module path: CCSDK.exe2
Report Id: CCSDK.exe3
Faulting package full name: CCSDK.exe4
Faulting package-relative application ID: CCSDK.exe5

Error: (10/28/2016 02:28:15 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Thanks again!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

#10 mod21

mod21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:24 PM

There it is: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8arp1agpn4feed/cbs.txt?dl=0

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:19 AM

Please do the following.

Reset Update Components

Open Notebook and copy and paste the batch script below in it.  Save this to the Desktop and name it UCReset.bat.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

To run the batch script right click on the UCReset.bat file on the desktop and select Run as administrator.

Restart your computer and try updating again.

#12 mod21

mod21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:48 AM

What exactly do you mean by "try updating again"? 

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2016 - 09:56 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

Did the batch file resolve your problem?

#14 mod21

mod21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:47 AM

Nope. It has happened again.

#15 mod21

mod21
  • Topic Starter