Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC doesn't boot after update: KB3199986

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Raviel

Raviel

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:19 AM

Hi, after I installed last windows 10 update on 28 October, pc doesn't boot, it is blocked to the loading image. I can't do anything, I tried the various restorations but it loops with everything. The only thing I can do is run windows on safemode but the driver can't be uninstalled. Any solution if I don't want to reset? My PC is a Lenovo G500.

Edited by Raviel, 29 October 2016 - 06:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,038 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

If you can boot to safe mode do you have a System Restore Point just before the update you can revert to?

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:57 AM

KB3199986 and the Lenovo G500 does not in any way related to your problem.
I have same computer here and this update took at all about 20 minutes, then was everything downloaded and installed. It means also KB3197954 and KB3201860.

Recommended solution - refresh Windows maintaining Your files and folders.
Restore point will not help You in any way, because it is probably also damaged or corrupt.

In future make sure always that the computer is repaired before the upgrade, not after.

Edited by kaljukass, 29 October 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,038 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

KB3199986 and the Lenovo G500 does not in any way related to your problem.
I have same computer here and this update took at all about 20 minutes, then was everything downloaded and installed. It means also KB3197954 and KB3201860.

Recommended solution - refresh Windows maintaining Your files and folders.
Restore point will not help You in any way, because it is probably also damaged or corrupt.

In future make sure always that the computer is repaired before the upgrade, not after.

Why would a Restore Point not help if it was created when the computer was functioning properly? Doing a Refresh, Refresh is now Reset on Windows 10 with the option to keep files, would cause the OP to lose all programs installed and settings.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

What is the OP supposed to repair if the computer was operating normally before the update?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

Why would a Restore Point not help if it was created when the computer was functioning properly? Doing a Refresh, Refresh is now Reset on Windows 10 with the option to keep files, would cause the OP to lose all programs installed and settings.

What is the OP supposed to repair if the computer was operating normally before the update?

Of cource can and/or may try, if the restore point exist.

But please read once again "...I tried the various restorations but it loops with everything."

#6 Raviel

Raviel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

Unlikely what's say @kaljukass is true. The restore point is corrupted and it doesn't work. No solution, do I proceed with reset?

After the reset I can do the update without any problems?

Edited by Raviel, 29 October 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,038 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

Of cource can and/or may try, if the restore point exist.

But please read once again "...I tried the various restorations but it loops with everything."

Sorry kaljujass, I missed that point.

Edit: Possibly trying the DISM commands before attempting a reset would work?

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Edit: I would backup your most important data first even if doing a reset with the option to keep your files. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#8 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

Most likely, I will not give any more to anyone in this forum any advice. I'm not here just the desired person.

At least hamluis thinks so.

Goodbye.  :hello:  

#9 Raviel

Raviel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 02:58 PM

I did the reset, but when the pc restart to install windows it blocked with a permanent black screen. What can I do?

Edited by Raviel, 29 October 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,038 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

Did you attempt the DISM commands I linked to?

Did you back up your data? Do you have an available external drive? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#11 Raviel

Raviel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:01 AM

Did you attempt the DISM commands I linked to?

Did you back up your data? Do you have an available external drive? 

I attempt the command, it seems to be repaired but when I start the restore point I have the same problem.

I back up my data and I only have an USB drive.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,038 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:17 AM

It was my intention for you to backup all data on the computer and then do a fresh reinstall using a Windows 10 install disk using the Media Creation Tool.

The DISM commands will not repair your Restore Points. It will only attempt to repair the bad update. 

If you need to access the computer data you can boot a live linux disk that would also allow you to access the internet for uploading data to the cloud or for copying data to your USB flash drive.

#13 Raviel

Raviel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

It was my intention for you to backup all data on the computer and then do a fresh reinstall using a Windows 10 install disk using the Media Creation Tool.

I did that. Topic can be close, although I don't understand what was the problem...

Edited by Raviel, 30 October 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,038 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:05 AM

I'm sorry, I don't understand. The computer is now functioning correctly after you reinstalled Windows 10 after backing up your data?

#15 Raviel

Raviel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

I'm sorry, I don't understand. The computer is now functioning correctly after you reinstalled Windows 10 after backing up your data?

Yes, but I don't understand that problem that I had. That's all.

Edited by Raviel, 30 October 2016 - 12:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users