Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JasonTL

JasonTL

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking my question. I need to purchase a different motherboard and am hoping that someone can make a suggestion on which one to go with.

I purchased a new video card from Newegg, and upon receiving it today, realized that the slot needed on my motherboard wasn't there. It was on an old motherboard. :thumbsup:

Basically, I need a budget (but functional) motherboard that can accommodate a PCI Express 16x video card. Mine is a GeForce 6600 256mb. I also have an Intel Celeron 2.7GHz processor and two sticks of 500mb DDR RAM.

I'm hoping to find a motherboard that doesn't require me to replace the processor and RAM, because I just can't afford to at this point in time. Got health problems that don't exactly let me earn great money. :flowers:

If anyone could suggest a motherboard that would work for this, if one even exists, I'd really appreciate it ... Especially if I can grab it from Newegg. Anything $100 or less, I could get immediately, but more than that and I'll have to wait. Disappointing that it even happened!

PS: Would this one work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...82E16813131542R

Edited by JasonTL, 23 August 2006 - 03:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:26 PM

Hello

What Socket Type is your CPU? and What standard/speed is your RAM?

before buying a new mobo make sure you know this.

The mobo you pick out would work if CPU is socket type S775 and RAM Was PC 4200 533mhz 240Pin DIMM RAM.

If you do not know what CPU and RAM you have download CPU-& a small program that will show this info. Which just need to be unzipped. CPU-Z

When you have this info post here for help on choosing correct motherboard.

Hope This Helps.
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

#3 JasonTL

JasonTL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

Hello

What Socket Type is your CPU? and What standard/speed is your RAM?

Hi Stu,

I ran the program you offered, and here is the requested info:

Socket 478 mPGA (for my CPU)

RAM: 1024MBytes DDR -- it doesn't say speed, but I recall 333MHz on both sticks (they're two 500mb sticks)

Hope this helps you to, er, help me. Thanks! :thumbsup:

#4 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:27 PM

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Well you need a S478 CPU motherboard (478 is the amount of pins on your CPU chip), these boards are still available but S775 dominates on intel CPu boards now. 333mhz is PC 2700 RAM.

After a quick search i found a board on new egg which looks to be correct for your specs, as you stated your CPU is a celeron, this board is compatible with Pentium M and Celeron.

MSi 915

Point to note Board takes DDR and DDR2 memory, you have DDR please make sure it is Pin184 (2700), there is Pin168 (PC2700) which is not supported. CPU -Z may have the Pin info.

Have you any other details on the model of celeron CPU u have?, if so post, thanks.

I hope this helps.
Stu G

#5 JasonTL

JasonTL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Hi Stu,

Thanks for that motherboard option. Here is more info based upon what you asked for.

With regard to my RAM ... in the SPD section, it says my RAM sticks are 512MB Kingston, Max Bandwidth PC2700. I guess I'm not okay there after all. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure of what to give you for my processor, so I'll just tell you everything it says:

Name: Intel Celeron
Code Name: Northwood
Brand ID: 10
Package: Socket 478 mPGA
Technology: 0.13 um
Voltage: 1.632 v

Specification: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.70GHz
Family: F
Model: 2
Stepping: 9
Ext. Family: F
Ext. Model: 2
Revision: D1
Instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2

Core Speed: (kept changing) 2697.8 MHz
Multiplier: x 27.0
Bus Speed: 99.9 MHz
Rated FSB: 399.7 MHz

Edited by JasonTL, 01 September 2006 - 10:12 PM.

#6 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:55 PM

Hi

I am posting two links, do not take note of the specs, It is just to show the difference in DDR Pins to compare with module of your memory. I would say chances are you have Pin184, simply because it is more common on desktop now.

DDR PIN-184------THIS IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE MOTHERBOARD I POSTED.

DDR PIN-168------THIS IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MOTHERBOARD I POSTED.

I am finding it quite tricky finding motherboards for celeron478 and PCI-E with PC2700 Memory.

Also the motherboard i posted is compatible with Celeron M, which is a mobile chipset, i can not be 100% sure that it is compatible with all celeron 478 chips, my first thought is it would be.

Anyone else reading, please post other motherboards to match specs and if anyone can confirm with Celeron M motherboards will work with Celeron 2.70ghz.
Stu G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users