Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about installing dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:28 AM

So I just want to install Ubuntu along with Windows 8.1. I want to be able to load any operating system during startup at will. However, I want to install Ubuntu the right way, to avoid any potential problems.

Is it recommended to back up the computer before installing Ubuntu? Currently, 75.8 GB of data is taken up in the hard drive of the computer, out of 445 GB total. There is about 369 GB of free space.

How to back it up correctly so I could restore it again as if nothing had happened, in case something goes wrong? I understand that backing up means, first the operating system files (Windows 8.1), and then the personal files or data. What about the program files? Are they supposed to be included in the personal files, or just My Documents, My Pictures, etc. etc.? Would I need to use several USB drives? Perhaps I would need to buy a 65 GB USB drive to store the main bulk of my computer's data to back it up?

Also I read on some websites that a certain version of Ubuntu has "spyware" built into it. Is it 14.0? I would like to install a version of Ubuntu that does not have the built in "spyware" feature. I would not want any private companies to have a data collection from my computer.

I think that I would need to buy yet another USB drive to copy the Ubuntu installer onto it; is that right? What size does it approximately take up?

Also I would like some advice on how to properly format the aforementioned hard drive of my computer, to allocate space for the Ubuntu partition, and make sure that I won't break the Windows one.

How much of a partition for the Ubuntu swap space is necessary?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:56 AM

Hi Welcome to Linux

Yes backing up your computer first is a great idea.

Have you used Linux before?

Also I read on some websites that a certain version of Ubuntu has "spyware" built into it. Is it 14.0?

Spyware? No.  At one stage Amazon search was enabled in dash basically and that was easily removed.

I think that I would need to buy yet another USB drive to copy the Ubuntu installer onto it; is that right? What size does it approximately take up?

You can also use a DVD.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Have a look at these 2 tutorials.
Click here to read how to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 8

Click here to read how to dual boot Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu

Edited by NickAu, 29 October 2016 - 01:57 AM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:16 AM

Yeah the amazon search thing being spyware was nonsense, Richard Stallman started that crap as he doesnt believe linux should be easy for new users

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:27 PM

I want to be able to load any operating system during startup at will.

This will happen automatically when Ubuntu is installed.

Yes you can get a good USB to backup your personal files also, and a 64GB 3.0 should work, the more backups you have the better in case one fails.

One thing that needs to be checked is your Partition Scheme, to see if Ubuntu can easily be Installed.

If you don’t mind let’s check to see how many Primary Partitions you have in Windows 8.1.  These directions may be a little different in Windows 8.1, if so just ask for help.

1. Click on the Start Button

2. Type “cmd”, when you see the “cmd” Right Click on it and Choose “Run as administrator”.  You will see a window with this message: “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer”, Click “YES”  
Administrator-Command Prompt will open. 

3. Type this command into Administrator-Command Prompt:
diskpart

4. Type this Command after where it says “DISKPART>”:
select disk 0

6. Type this Command after “DISKPART>”: 
list partition 
Now you should see all the Partition information.

7. Now Right Click “Select All”, everything should turn White > Then CTRL + C to Copy the Text

8. Now Put your Cursor in your “Post” and do CTRL + V to Paste it.

Edited by pcpunk, 29 October 2016 - 07:41 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

If you don’t mind let’s check to see how many Primary Partitions you have in Windows 8.1.

Its Windows 8 so it would be GPT wouldnt it? GPT allows for a nearly unlimited amount of partitions,

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

Sorry thought there were exceptions

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

If you don’t mind let’s check to see how many Primary Partitions you have in Windows 8.1.

Its Windows 8 so it would be GPT wouldnt it? GPT allows for a nearly unlimited amount of partitions,

No, not necessarily.

This Toshiba Satellite (inxi -Fxs in Spoiler) has a 1TB HDD, purchased in 2015 with Windows 8.1 on it, and it was in MS-DOS/MBR.

I then used the Windows Disk Management tool to resize the space available to Windows (would only let me shrink it by half), and then installed Linux Mint 17.3 on it.

I then blew away Windows 8.1, reformatted the drive to GPT (you get a warning about the drive seeming too small, as it was under 2TB), and proceeded to populate it with a dozen Linux Distros, initially.

Spoiler

@BlueGalaxy:

Hi, on swapspace, I would not waste more than 2GB, debatable whether it even needs that much.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

On what Wiz had said about swap space, if you are dual booting it should be equal to the size of your ram initially. yet i have a 4gb SWAP partition and haven't used half of it. Trust wiz on this. :)

And about the GPT and partitions, i have a SanDisk SSD+ and even with linux i was only allowed to make 4 partitions (not including swap space). to create more than 4 partitions you want a bios with EFI/UEFI.

which almost all new ones are now.

Edited by Viper_Security, 31 October 2016 - 07:06 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:22 PM

if you are dual booting it should be equal to the size of your ram initially.

So with 16 GiB ram I should set up a 16 GiB swap?

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

theoretically yes, but seeing as how i don't use half of my 4GB i'd make it at least 2gb to be safe.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

Trust wiz on this. :)  I could get used to that, lol

No actually the Mod from Nimbin (NickAu) is being sarcastic. Check dates on anything you read that recommends twice the RAM, and you should find they are dated.

That was a rule of thumb that was around when RAM was not freely available, and was limited to 1 to 2 GB.

Fedora 24, for example (RPM-based Distro) does not even require the setting up of a Swap, and runs perfectly fine without it.

My Ubuntus and my Linux Mints are affected at beginning and shutdown if you do not have any swap running, but I would eat my hat if I learned that any more than 2 GB was required for any Distro. You can try it for yourself by using

sudo swapoff -a

and

sudo swapon -a

if you want to play with it.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - I am sceptical about the recommended changes to "swappiness" as well, but that is gut feeling only and is not corroborated (yet) with benchmarked tests on my 40 Distros.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,379 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:17 PM

Check dates on anything you read that recommends twice the RAM, and you should find they are dated.

:thumbup2: I don't use swap at all.

#13 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hi Welcome to Linux

Yes backing up your computer first is a great idea.

Have you used Linux before?

I have some experience using the Linux commands such as ls, cp, and tar. However, I never installed a Linux distribution to my own computer before. I think that it would be good to try this. I want to learn more about the Linux operating system. Thank you for the information.

#14 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

I want to be able to load any operating system during startup at will.

This will happen automatically when Ubuntu is installed.

Yes you can get a good USB to backup your personal files also, and a 64GB 3.0 should work, the more backups you have the better in case one fails.

One thing that needs to be checked is your Partition Scheme, to see if Ubuntu can easily be Installed.

I'll check the Partition Scheme later when I'll have some extra time. Right now I would like to determine what kind of backup should I do. Does a Windows System Image backup all the information on the computer, and copy it to a USB stick? I mean does it backup the Program Files in addition to the Windows OS files? I would like to implement a separate backup to copy My Documents/Pictures, and other personal files and documents, however if the System Image would also copy these files and folders that would be a good bonus.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

Yeah the amazon search thing being spyware was nonsense, Richard Stallman started that crap as he doesnt believe linux should be easy for new users

No, it's about adware, even if Stallman raised the issue. Perform searches with Amazon and watch the ads flow in, unless a good adblocker is installed. :)

As far as Richard Stallman himself goes, he's one of the most underappreciated members of the Free Software community. For over two-thirds of his life, has campaigned for the rights to have equal software for all, at no charge to the user. He's done far more good deeds than many realizes, and began at least 10 years before Linus Torvalds thought of getting involved. The reason why Linus gets the credit is because he did what Stallman couldn't, finish the job to have a bootable OS. 

Outside of that, Stallman has racked up awards across the World & hasn't stopped yet. While I don't agree with all of his personal values, do believe he's done a lot more for the open source community than any other single person in the World. :thumbsup:

Kind of like how Apple got started, Woz did the work, got cheated out of a chunk of cash in doing so, and Steve Jobs got the credit. The rest is history. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users