Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best tool for multi-computer configuration

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mberna

mberna

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:14 PM

I am trying to decide what the best option is for configuring (set up, updates, installs) multiple computers on a network domain. Could someone who has experience with at leat one (ideally a few) of these solutions comment on which one is best? We are running mostly windows 10, a few windows 7 machines, and a server with windows 2012. We will most likely only have one or two configurations that will be cookie-cutter for everyone.

The solutions I am considering are:

• NTLite
  • Windows ADK with group policy for some updates
  • System Center Configuration Manager

Things I would like to consider: Ease of learning and use, speed of setup, and features/usability. I would like to be able to not only install windows updates, but also third party software. What are you using? Is there anything else better than any of these? I'm looking to get a consensus on the best option, so please leave a comment with any opinions on the matter.

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2016 - 07:00 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:00 AM

I would think it depends on the software, and what your trying to do. If you want the ability to continually deploy updates , installs, and patches. Then from your list only system center will work. If you are just looking to deploy Windows to multiple machines with a custom image that includes integrated updates and software. You will need at least 1 volume license aagreement. That will give you deployment rights for Windows. Then you can use the adk to create the image, and I would recommend setting up a FOG server (Free Opensource Ghost) to deploy the image using Pxe boot.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users