Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interactive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tacohouse

Tacohouse

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

I have an unknown account under security in the user and groups box one called authenticated user and one called INTERACTIVE I can't find much on the interactive user account other than it being a possible security risk I have windows 10 pro and I'm trying to set it up for home use and to be more secure so how can I get rid of the unknown account and do I need the interactive account and what exactly is it? if I don't need the interactive account how do I get rid of it?how can I make my pc and mainly my network more secure? what is the authenticated user account?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

It's a security group, not a user. Any user logged on to the local system has the Interactive identity. This identity is used to allow only local users to access a resource.

Do not delete.

#3 Tacohouse

Tacohouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

Alright cool any tips on how I could keep my home network secure?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:21 PM

If you're just a standard user who writes documents, downloads stuff, likes pictures and movies and browses the web (ie: no gaming, music creation or scientific instruments) the first thing I would do is get rid of Windows. Seriously. Linux is now a viable option for home users and easy distros like Linux Mint provide a far easier, safer and more secure experience than Windows. All the applications you'll ever need are already installed, everything updates with one click,  and you don't need an antivirus. My small children use it with ease. You can even install it next to your Windows installation to try it out if you're not sure. The Linux forum here can guide you if you need more information or any help.

That will solve 99% of your security and random "why is my computer not working properly?" pain forever, but if you don't want to do that here's some other tips.

• Secure your router properly, set a secure administration password
  • Use a standard (or even restricted) user account for general use. Only log into your admin account to make system changes or install/remove software.
  • Use an application like Secunia to check for updates to all of your applications regularly.
  • Make sure you install a well rated anti-virus and anti-malware application. These days having an anti-ransomware application is becoming commonplace also.
  • Do not install applications you don't need. Every line of code is a potential vulnerability. If you don't use something anymore, uninstall it.
  • Research everything before you install it. A simple Google search like "this program-name malware" will often save you from a lot of pain.
  • Do not install JAVA, just don't do it
  • Do not install Adobe Reader either, just don't do it.
  • Use secure web based mail like Gmail. Avoid using your ISP generated mail account or other mail on native mail applications that come from mail servers that are not web based.
  • Make your passwords secure. To do this (and be able to remember them) think of a phrase and use that as a basic mnemonic and add some spice. ie: I really like to go to the beach, especially on Saturdays. Then use the first letter and punctuation = "Irl2gtb,e0S." That's a very secure password.
  • Don't reuse your main passwords. Banking, main email and other sensitive passwords should all be unique.
  • Don't open documents you are not expecting, even from people you know. This is the #1 way people get encrypted with ransomware.
  • Check for "https:" on secure sites when doing any sort of secure transaction. Also check the web address is what you would expect.
  • Don't run torrented applications, just don't do it.
  • Don't download from CNET or other popular malware purveyors and review sites. If you see something on one of their sites you like, search for the developers site and download it directly.
  • Use blocking applications in your browser, at least a Flash blocker like FlashBlock. I also have AdBlockPlus, Disconnect, Privacy Badger and Ghostery... all running simultaneously.

These are just the one's off the top of my head, I could go on and on about this. I hope it helps a bit.

T.

Edited by TsVk!, 28 October 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#5 Tacohouse

Tacohouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:35 PM

I mainly use windows to record music I only try to download what I really need and I try to keep everything up to date

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

I understand that. I have a separate Windows PC for music production that only ever went on the net once, just to verify the OS.

Dual booting is always an option too. So when your PC starts you get to choose Windows or Linux. You can share files between the installations. You can get your software and samples and stuff from the net on the Linux OS and then boot into Windows to use them. But have the internet disabled on Windows. (disable the network adapter). I've lost many months work because of malware on Windows. That's why I decided to get a dedicated PC just for my music.

I don't know your situation though.

#7 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

@TsVk ~ Post #4 ~ awesome tips you provided to the OP! Thanks...I'll utilize them too!  :thumbup2:

#8 Tacohouse

Tacohouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

I use studio one with firestudio project interface I have 2 desktops so I planned on using one just for recording

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:37 PM

I use Cubase with an M-Audio Delta 44 interface. Loads of other toys as well... I used to be a sound engineer before I swapped professions and moved to IT.

It's still a great hobby :)

@TsVk ~ Post #4 ~ awesome tips you provided to the OP! Thanks...I'll utilize them too!  :thumbup2:

You're very welcome. :)

Edited by TsVk!, 29 October 2016 - 12:02 AM.

#10 Tacohouse

Tacohouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:08 AM

That's awesome! music is my life that's why I want to get all the bugs worked out on my PC I have everything I need to start recording I'm also wanting to learn everything I can about computers software programming and science everything I can possibly have access to anything is possible I try not to believe in limits the only limits we have are the ones we set

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:17 AM

That's great mate. Music is a wonderful profession, especially in this day and age where we have access to such great recording and production software.

Just remember to protect your ears at all costs. Take regular breaks, especially when you're mixing down and have to turn it up loud.  :wink:

#12 Tacohouse

Tacohouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:29 AM

Well i appreciate the help again im still learning so thank you so much for your time!!!!

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:42 AM

Your welcome. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users