Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud, virtual or Dedicated server.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sharkey01

Sharkey01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

Hi all

My sbs Windows server is ready to drop and I am a little unsure of how to proceed and wonder if anyone could offer a suggestion. Do I upgrade my existing server or go to a hosting service?

I have 6 users, FTC broadband, occasional out of office access. Progs I use are mainly MS Office and exchange email. I have a couple of database progs which store the database on server I.e. Sage accounts.

Been offered the following:
Cloud hosting £40 pm
Virtual server £72 pm
Dedicated cloud server £60 pm
Citrix £70 pm

Any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:05 AM

You don't have a lot of users, so an on-premise system is probably more expense than it's worth.

The various options will depend on several questions:

What sort of availability do you require? If the cloud service is unavailable for some reason, how long can you go without access?

How sensitive is the data you have? How comfortable are you with leaving it on a cloud service where others might be able to hack into it? How secure are your security protocols?

#3 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:35 AM

Personally I would look into Office 365 for your office and exchange licensing. The business premium plan lists at $15/month/user with only a monthly commitment and includes office, exchange hosting, and Skype. If you go with an annual commitment and talk to a VAR you can probably get that price knocked down a little bit as well. 

With out knowing exactly what database programs you're running it's hard to give a really great answer, but personally I would suggest looking at something on-prem to run them if everyone is located at a single site.

Just a side thought, depending on which version of sage you have I've seen some crazy performance hits when trying to access a database that is hosted somewhere else.

#4 joooneto

joooneto

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

In my opinion, a local server is enough for you, like this

#5 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:14 PM

In my opinion, a local server is enough for you, like this

I agree on going with a local server, not sure I would go with that particular one though. 

The biggest thing with having a local server, especially if you're to hosting several databases, is that your biggest expense is going to storage space. Don't forget that you're going to have to make sure that you have some solid back ups, and RAID is not a backup. If you can give us some more info on what kind of software you're using, what your current infrastructure looks like, and what kind of budget you have I'd be happy to try and help with some recommendations. Also keep in mind that you want to be scalable. Whatever you purchase should be able to last you at least the next 3-5 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users