Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about patch panels

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yatys93

Yatys93

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

So I am planning of getting my own house/place, owning not renting and want to wire the place for a gigabit connection, smart switch for linking ports together for server use and the likes, where I am stuck is what patch panel to use, when I worked out the number of ports I will need I get 20 so my original plan was cat6 48 port since the 24 port panels are £25 while the 48 port is £35, however I am worried about run length with cat6, enter cat6a fixes my issues with run length but the patch panels are over £150.

Can I use a cat6 panel with cat6a cable? I know this would reduce speeds but since I am only using gigabit it would be fine right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

Any of your runs farther than 100 meters/328 feet?

Cat6:
Gigabit Ethernet up to 100 meters
10 Gigabit Ethernet up to 55 meters

Cat6a:
10 Gigabit Ethernet up to 100 mete

Why would you spend 10 on a 48 port patch you are never going to use all the ports in? That doesn't make sense when you have 4 ports still available in a 24.  Guess I am frugal.

If you ever want to do 10gig you need 6a throughout.

#3 Yatys93

Yatys93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:52 PM

Any of your runs farther than 100 meters/328 feet?

Cat6:
10 Gigabit Ethernet up to 55 meters

Cat6a:
10 Gigabit Ethernet up to 100 mete

Why would you spend 10 on a 48 port patch you are never going to use all the ports in? That doesn't make sense when you have 4 ports still available in a 24.  Guess I am frugal.

If you ever want to do 10gig you need 6a throughout.

Ah my googleing came up with gigabit was 55m so ill just do cat6, no intention of 10gig any time soon, hardware alone would be over £1000, as for the larger panel, forward planning, I would rather drop the extra £10 than have to replace it, redo all the wire connections and also what do you do with a second hand panel :P ?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

I don't know what your run plan is, but if you're only doing one run per location I'd recommend doing two and getting the 48 port.  Also, if you don't have the place picked out already you are wasting your time planning.

#5 Yatys93

Yatys93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

Not planning anything, just getting some knowledge ready for when I need it so I can just get it sorted, and as for the ports, I have done a rough count of what I will need, seeing as I own almost all the stuff I plan on using, other than the server and AP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users