Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 will not open files recovered from Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sherrianneashe

sherrianneashe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:16 PM

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question.

Our hard drive running windows vista crashed - had to have the files recovered. 

I was sent a drive with the recovered files however when I try to copy them to the new computer running windows 10 I get the following error message:

"File access denied -  you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file."

When I select continue I get this message:

"File Access Denied - you need permission to perform this action.  You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this file."

The new computer is my laptop - I am the only one on it.  I thought I was the administrator.  Wondering if it may have something to do with the files being first created on computer running windows vista.

I did reach out to the recovery company who advised me to find a local computer person who can help me get administrative rights on the new computer.

Any help here is appreciated.

Sherri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

You need to take ownership of the drive. The video is for Vista but the procedure is the same for Windows 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2wkaMFsh04

#3 sherrianneashe

sherrianneashe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:38 PM

When I follow the outlined steps in the video I get the following message:

An error occurred while applying security information to:

H:\******

Failed to enumerate objects in the container.  Access denied.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

Try the steps here. Do it to every folder on the hard drive. If that fails then do the steps in the hidden Adminstrator Account you can enable by doing the below commands.

Open an elevated command prompt by pressing the Windows key + X and selecting cmd as admin. Type

net user administrator /active:yes

Login to the now enabled Administrator account. Try taking ownership again. If that fails logout of the administrator account and at an elevated command in your other account.prompt type

net user administrator /active:no

This will hide the Administrator account.Post back the results.

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

"File access denied -  you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file."

NB! Computer is changed, maybe also the administrator data is changed (new username, password, etc) etc.
If You get such a error message, then it does not mean that asked for current computer administrator, but asking for the previous administrator ie for the Vista administrator.
Now You should take ownership. It means You must change the administrator privileges and must give privileges to current computer administrator or user.
The files don't know nothing about You, now You must add yourself as administrator and then You can to what You want.

Edited by kaljukass, 28 October 2016 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users