Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This a Good Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus Protection Program?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gator201

gator201

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

Hi and new to the forum . I currently have Norton Security, MBAM Pro, CCLeaner Professional, adwcleaner, and I did have Hitman Pro, for a while several years ago when my computer was hacked.

I have had Norton for several years, but I am thinking of switching to Emsisoft and use my Windows 7 Firewall. I use MBAM for live monitoring along with the Norton Security..The adwcleare software I use periodically, or if there is an issue the other programs don't handle. For example when out bound traffic was blocked by MBAM, but it was continously happening, the adwcleaner software found and eliminated the culprit. It was very useful also when my computer was hacked.  I also have the active monitoring turned off on CCleaner.

Would also adding Binisoft or Tinnywall add more security to the Windows 7 Firewall, or would it be better to just use the Windows Firewall by itself? I don't really want anything too complicated on the Firewall settings, but just maybe make a few teaks, possibly.  One other thing, would it be good to add WinPatrol Pro?

Sorry for a lot of questions, and thanks for any responses as I value your opinions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:45 PM

Although Norton (Symantec) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. Further, there have been numerous complaints about lack of sufficient support from the vendor.

I have read from other users that Norton has made improvements in newer versions of their software so they are not as resource heavy as past versions...while others still say differently. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative. IMO, Norton (Symantec) is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers. With that said, there are a lot of folks who prefer using Norton (especially if it came preinstalled) and there is nothing wrong with staying with a product you are satisfied with.

Switching to Emsisoft and using Windows 7 Firewall is a wise choice.Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an effective alternative to consider. Despite it's name, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antii-virus program...Emsisoft FAQs: Why is it called "Anti-Malware" and not "Antivirus"?. See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware.Emsisoft paid customers get 25% off after the initial purchase and then 5% off for each year afterwards, up to a maximum of 60%.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

Forgot to mention...Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium works well with Emsisoft so I recommend you keep and continue to use it.

CCleaner really has nothing to do with security or protection.

AdwCleaner is a portable adware cleaner created by Xplode (and now owned by Malwarebytes) that is designed to search for (generic and static detecton) and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware as well as related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users