Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recovery drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wickerman

wickerman

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:24 AM

i have just made a recovery drive (I think) on a flash drive I am on windows 10 64bit. now I got it how do I use it.when I open it shows.

boot /efi /sources /bootmgr /bootmgr.efi. is this right.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

What are you trying to do with this recovery drive?

Where did you get the media for this drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:20 AM

I don't know what I supposed to do with it. I have read several times that I should make a recovery drive sooner rather than later. so I  went on google typed in create recovery drive .

chose a website (techtraders)  and followed the instructions, when it finished that is what I got . is this not right.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:29 AM

the instructions

Well, without knowing what actual instructions you followed, we can't know what you've made. I have no idea who techtraders are.

If you've made normal Windows 10 recovery media, you boot from it if Windows fails.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:45 AM

A Recovery Drive , is to Copy System Files from the PC to the media / Usb in the event of Pc Failure you can boot from Usb to repair the PC.

You can also add the Recovery Partition Files if the Usb is Large in size and then delete that Partition from PC to save some space , but i would leave it on the PC.

More Info can be read here for Win 8 / 10 - http://www.howtogeek.com/131907/how-to-create-and-use-a-recovery-drive-or-system-repair-disc-in-windows-8/

#6 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:01 AM

Just checked your link . it is the same procedure, click create recovery drive  selected usb, clicked next allowed to run. took about 40 minutes.

then clicked finish.  did not delete partition. (don't know what I am doing there). that's it. 

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

I,ll Repeat my first 2 lines - And did you read it ?  / and the Url Page in full .....it explains everything.

A Recovery Drive , is to Copy System Files from the PC to the media / Usb in the event of Pc Failure you can boot from Usb to repair the PC.

You can also add the Recovery Partition Files if the Usb is Large in size and then delete that Partition from PC to save some space , but i would leave it on the PC.

(don't know what I am doing there). that's it

Its not something you have to do in that Procedure , but if the PC fails , or wont boot , you can boot from that  USB to repair system files / or use the Recovery Partition. 

#8 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:02 AM

Thanks to all of you for your help. i think i have got the right setup. just hope i never have to use it.

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Good to hear that you have atleast done the Recovery Procedure.

Alot of people dont , so then and if the Hard Drive ever fails in the future they would be in a predicament to fix the PC or return to a Factory Condition if needed.

Either way its Safer to have it , than not.

Your next step in learning to get out of situations that occur , would be to learn about Backup Images and Backing Up any Personel Files etc to External Drives.

I use Acronis and Macrium Reflect Free and there are numerous others to suit individuals needs.

You can use Windows Built In software , but im not a fan of them .

#10 wickerman

wickerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:27 AM

Thanks Havachat.  will try those out and let you know how I get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users