Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

something seems deep wrong

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DrEvel

DrEvel

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:57 AM

I'd appreciate any help I can get with this one! I'm running Win10 64bit. About three months ago, my C: drive went into shock and wouldn't boot. I put in a new drive, reloaded windows, and was able to access most of the old drive and recover most of my material. But that's not really the problem, just the context.

Starting perhaps a week ago, my system has been badly behaved, to say the least. I use both Firefox and Chrome. Both of them have developed problems with hanging up, going to wrong pages, etc. Two days ago, I got this alarming popup saying that it was from Microsoft and if I didn't call this number right away, they would disable my computer. I hit the OFF button immediately and shut down the system. It came back up OK, so I did a system restore to about two weeks back; that also worked, presumably. But later that day, I had another similar popup. I repeated the procedure. But this time when it came back up I ran several varieties of malware scans - AdwCleaner, Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes Pro. Each of them found some instances of things to get rid of. Then I tried to run ESETOnline Scanner; this runs, but hangs up somewhere after saying that it's detected 4 threats. I've tried this several times, including in safe mode. I also tried to run TDSSKill rootkit finder. It wouldn't run in regular mode (got to some point and hung up - had to shut down the system to close it). But it did run in safe mode, and said I was clear.

I've also had a large number of Malwarebytes warnings that it wouldn't connect to some website - never the one I was trying to get to; something else. This is particularly disturbing.

At this point I'm really confused. I don't know what might be due to a problem with the system itself; what might be a problem with either or both of the browsers, or something else entirely.

Can you help me systematically figure out what's wrong? My approach of throwing things at it and hoping something will stick clearly isn't working.

Thanks!

JD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

From what you describe, part of the problem is related to a well known scam.

Unsolicited phone calls, browser pop-ups and emails (aka Tech Support Scamming) from "so-called Support Techs" advising "your computer is infected with malware" or “All Your Files Are Encrypted" has s become an increasing common and prolific scam tactic over the past several years. The scams may involve web pages with screenshots of fake anti-virus software displaying warnings of bogus malware infections, fake ransomware and fake BSOD which include a tech support phone number to call in order to fix the problem.

Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls, display pop-up alerts in your browser to call a support number or send unsolicited email messages to request personal or financial information or to fix your computer.For more information and resources to protect yourself from scams, please read Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams

Since you already have run a lot of scan tools and the issue is not resolved...if you want a more comprehensive look at your system for possible malware by experts, there are advanced tools which can be used to investigate but they are not permitted in this forum. Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide. When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team. If you choose to post a log, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users