Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DiskCleanUp including dump, mindump, system dump

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

I asked this before but maybe other newer opinions from some members.

Is is reasonable to select the dump files for Disk Cleanup?  My guess is yes.  They are available for what to clean in Disk Cleanup, they've been there a long time (now years), I see not too often any kind of interaction with them, and in case some occasional strange system performance or temporary trouble, guess that new entries would be made to them,... so I selected them tonight for a Disk Cleanup session.  

RESULT:  System restart seemed faster (although did not try measuring this), and no other ill effects.  Must 've saved 2 or 3 GB of space.  Was 42 GB used and now 39 GB  used.

Very few items in the Disk Cleanup list are found selected upon opening Disk Cleanup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:50 PM

CCleaner when run cleans dump files by default. 

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:47 AM

In my opinion, if you have diagnosed/fixed your BSOD problems, there really is no need to keep them. Especially since they're very old. (I still don't like how CCleaner cleans the memory dumps by default though.) :)

Edit: This may be helpful to you...

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-xp-vista/how-to-know-which-files-are-safe-to-delete-with-windows-vistas-disk-cleanup/

Edited by bwv848, 29 October 2016 - 08:54 AM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

The particular  machine has not shown any blue screen of "death" for over 5 years, so I guess, since very few other problems have occurred, cleaning away those dumps was a good thing to do.  I did not yet read the link given in post#3.

---just now checked that dummies link.  I made the right decision to get rid of those dump files.  Note, I also get rid of Thumbnails.  I do not see the point.  

Edited by cafejose, 29 October 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

Glad you got rid of them. :) Really if there haven't been any further problems for five years (since 2011!) I can't give you or anyone a logical reason to keep them.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users