Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD install problem.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BigElCat

BigElCat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:04 PM

I have a Dell Precision 690 that I use to surf the web and listen to music.

It uses two Intel 80GB SSD drives; one is the mirror image of the other for back up purposes.

I run Windows 10 64 bit, and the computer works well.  I decided to replace the 80GB SSD's with 160GB Intel SSDs.  I have two of the 160GB drives in a lower model Dell.  I pulled one 160GB SSD, and installed in the Precision 690.

I used Intel Data Migration to wipe and initialize the 160GB SSD, but it will not complete the cloning process.  It will not allow me to select the 160GB SSD as the destination drive in the process.  

I tried putting in a MBR partition, but it didn't seem to help.

Any suggestions ?

Am I posting this in the correct forum ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigElCat

BigElCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

I should mention that the all four SSDs are older Intel X25M  units.

I'm going to post on the Intel forum, put I'm not expecting much support because I bought all the drives used.  

After I failed to clone the drive in my Dell 690, I put it back in the Dell XPS 400.  I used Intel Data Migration and was able to clone the primary SSD in the XPS400 onto this same 160GB SSD.  

Any ideas why it won't work in the other computer ?

The XPS 400 has Windows 7 (the Dell 690 has Windows 10), but a blank SSD wouldn't know the difference.

#3 BigElCat

BigElCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:39 AM

I think my version of Intel Data Migration on the 690 was somehow corrupt.  I attempted to clone the 80GB SSD once I had it back in the 690, and it could not be selected from the list generated.  The content of the SSD had not been altered since this version of Data Migration had created it.

I downloaded a newer version of Intel Data Migration, and it allowed me to complete the cloning.

Now I'm back to square one.  I'm going verify that I can boot from the new back-up.  If so,  I'll try swapping in the larger SSD once again.   

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

Disconnect the other SSD so that you only have the one drive connected.  This way the other installation of Windows will not be seen.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users