Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are these Hard Drives OK for my setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Computer_Man27

Computer_Man27

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:35 PM

I recently recieved a broken computer thats hard drive had konked out and was gone before i got it, The PSU total power is 300W and the computer is a Acer Windows Vista this is my hard drive connector 

post-1023956-0-24868500-1477625497_thumb

and this is my PSU

post-1023956-0-27728300-1477625611_thumb

Would this Hard drive be ok for my setup

https://www.centrecom.com.au/western-digital-wd-green-1tb-wd10ezrx-wd-green-sata-iii-intellipower-64mb

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

P.S i already have the size correct

:thumbup2:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:34 AM

The hard disk you have listed is a SATA hard drive.

The power supply you have pictured has SATA power connectors available - but the white one you have pictured is a floppy drive power connector so would not fit the drive.

Whether the hard drive is suitable for your setup will depend on whether you have a motherboard with an available SATA data connector (you may also be missing a SATA data cable and possibly other drive fittings if you acquired the machine with the drive missing).

Edited by rqt, 28 October 2016 - 02:56 AM.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:46 AM

The Black Connector from the PSU in Photo is the  Power Cable for a Sata HDrive and thats fine to use.

The Small White connector is actualy for a Floppy Drive Power.

You would still need a Sata Data Cable from the Motherboard to the Sata HDrive , if it is supported on the board.

Sata Cable  -   http://imgur.com/a/Y5j0P

MOBO    -        http://imgur.com/a/WD7T5

Edited by Havachat, 28 October 2016 - 02:47 AM.

#4 Computer_Man27

Computer_Man27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:31 AM

I have the SATA data cable, the floppy drive cable is attached to the SATA drive but i do have another set of wires that has two SATA connectors joint together is this what i connect to the Hard Drive while i connect the others to a DVD and FLOPPY drive? and if so are the Hard drives i mentioned usable

I have all the connections to the mother board figured out its more about which wires from the PSU go where and does my PSU meat the Hard Drives power requirements

Once again any advice is greatly appreaciated

Thank you for replying  :thumbup2:

Edited by Computer_Man27, 28 October 2016 - 04:32 AM.

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

Your PSU supply should have 3 of the black SATA power connectors & you can use any of them for any SATA device with a matching power connection. The arrangement you have suggested seems sensible. The power supply will be adequate for that hard drive (as long as it is functioning correctly).

Edited by rqt, 28 October 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#6 Computer_Man27

Computer_Man27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

THANKYOU SO MUCH rqt I REALLY NEEDED TO KNOW THIS 

:guitar:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users